Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1995 300D questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Default 1995 300D questions

I'm actively shopping for a 1995 300D as a daily commuter. From reading the forums, I narrowed the search to a 1995 non-turbo due to the excellent durability of the motor, the last year of the W124 before the quality issues of the W210 (no-flames please - just what I've read here), being shadetree mechanic friendly, and being modern enough to have all the features expected such as airbags, electronics, etc.
After shopping around and driving a few, I have some questions I need answered by those in the know.
1 - some cars I've seen have headlight wipers, others don't. Why is that?
2 - I thought only the leather seats came with seat heaters, but I've seen some tex seats (multiple seams running perpendicular to seatback) with this option as well. Am I confusing leather with tex?
3 - I'm aware of the wiring harness, leaking fuel lines, and AC evap issues. Anything else to look for? Any way other than service records to determine if the harness and evap have been done?
4 - A few of the cars I've seen have aftermarket radios. Are the original radios prone to failure?
5 - 2 of the cars I test drove had a whining or hissing noise on acceleration. Couldn't tell if it was a vacuum line leaking or a mechanical whine. Other than the noise, no thunks or hesitation. Any idea what this could be?

I'm really looking forward to joining the benz "owners club" and can't wait to start getting 600+ miles per tankfull!

Thanks
Ron

Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1995 300D questions

ORIGINAL: rfarkash

I'm actively shopping for a 1995 300D as a daily commuter. From reading the forums, I narrowed the search to a 1995 non-turbo due to the excellent durability of the motor, the last year of the W124 before the quality issues of the W210 (no-flames please - just what I've read here), being shadetree mechanic friendly, and being modern enough to have all the features expected such as airbags, electronics, etc.
After shopping around and driving a few, I have some questions I need answered by those in the know.
1 - some cars I've seen have headlight wipers, others don't. Why is that?
2 - I thought only the leather seats came with seat heaters, but I've seen some tex seats (multiple seams running perpendicular to seatback) with this option as well. Am I confusing leather with tex?
3 - I'm aware of the wiring harness, leaking fuel lines, and AC evap issues. Anything else to look for? Any way other than service records to determine if the harness and evap have been done?
4 - A few of the cars I've seen have aftermarket radios. Are the original radios prone to failure?
5 - 2 of the cars I test drove had a whining or hissing noise on acceleration. Couldn't tell if it was a vacuum line leaking or a mechanical whine. Other than the noise, no thunks or hesitation. Any idea what this could be?

I'm really looking forward to joining the benz "owners club" and can't wait to start getting 600+ miles per tankfull!

Thanks
Ron
1. Probably just an expensive option that most people didn't believe was necessary.
2. Leather and MB-tex are basically the same thing
4. Not really. I think the biggest complaint with any new or old Benz is poor audio so people tend to swap them out with a new HU and speakers. Plus new ones have options of playing MP3s, CDs, etc...

Old 12-13-2007, 03:46 PM

Ron,
The wipers were an option. I have '95 E300 Special Edition - with leather. The leather is softer and also is on the doors. I have heard the MBTex lasts longer, but had it on a 109D, it feels cheap. Have not had any of the problems you list above in 120K miles - just glow plug replacements, not one single other problem, which for a car that is 12 years old, I find remarkable! Look for the SE model (Emerald green or obsidian black, includes fantastic 6 CD/Bose stereo, burl walnut instead of zebrano, special wheels, phone (useless) and the color.) Our E300 consistantly gets 28mpg around town, and I have gotten 45 on the highway! We can drive from the SF Bay Area to LA and back on one tank! I also had a '98 E300turbo, had many, many problems - it's gone! Hopefully the newer E320CDI model is better, that's next on my list! Good Luck!

Old 12-15-2007, 03:26 AM

Aloha...
I am a 1995 E300D owner of about a year now....my fourth (or fifth MB) and this is the best ever! It has 119K miles and does not use or leakany oil or fuel. I use bio-diesel with no visible or power problems (about $3.70gal in Hawaii), and I get about 25-27 M.p.g. (I live up a two mile hill that eats a lot of fuel).. I did have to change the radiator water level sensor (strange but easy repair). I add some additive from time to time, just to keep injectors and lines clear...
I am currently replacing the intake manifold gaskets in my 500SL V8 engine...a lot of bolts, connections and vacuum lines (and surprises)!...and takes a load of patience!

Rev. Dr. Tom Fujita, Aiea, HI (retired pastor, former HD truck driver/owner/diesel mechanic..now "Doctor of Motors"...Whee!!)

1990 500Sl Convertible (for sale) 91K miles (red)
1998 C280 Sport sedan 41K miles (white)