Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1992 300D 2.5, Need Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 PM

That's a good point bigblock. He has maintenance records for the first 150k so I'll check to see what was replaced during that period. Maybe a big ticket item was, who knows.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oldwolf
That's a good point bigblock. He has maintenance records for the first 150k so I'll check to see what was replaced during that period. Maybe a big ticket item was, who knows.
Not much goes wrong in first 150K miles though.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:17 AM
Just a pointer from a newb; I'm know I'm probably saying this in vain, as I'm sure you are well aware, but make sure you check the flex joints (drive-shaft joints). I believe the diesel w124 uses them as well. At 200k+ miles and 17 years old they are sure to be ready to blow if they haven't been replaced already. The front joint closest to the transmission is usually the first to go, and when they go the damage it causes is not inexpensive to repair. Odd noises come from them when they are having issues, and they can sound like an unrelated issue. So just a heads up!

P.S. They are inexpensive to replace. As well as a pretty easy to swap out.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:30 AM

I'll check the flex disks. Those are easy to replace like you said. Another guy was telling me about the injector pump (not pre pump) is expensive to replace too. But other forums have instructions on how to replace the copper disks (valves), springs and o-rings in them. Seems like a doable thing as long as the pump it self does not have any serious issues.

I don't mind replacing wear parts here and there but I sure don't want to rebuild engines and transmissions yet. Maybe when it hits 400k miles, but not when I first get it.

Funny, I never hear about the turbochargers wearing out. I guess they are pretty durable.

Thanks for the comments.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Oldwolf
I'll check the flex disks. Those are easy to replace like you said. Another guy was telling me about the injector pump (not pre pump) is expensive to replace too. But other forums have instructions on how to replace the copper disks (valves), springs and o-rings in them. Seems like a doable thing as long as the pump it self does not have any serious issues.

I don't mind replacing wear parts here and there but I sure don't want to rebuild engines and transmissions yet. Maybe when it hits 400k miles, but not when I first get it.

Funny, I never hear about the turbochargers wearing out. I guess they are pretty durable.

Thanks for the comments.
These engines should easy last half million miles but tranny need usually rebuild around 200K miles there's is to many moving parts involved in tranny to last half a million miles.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:03 PM

Hi. i am from russia. excuse me, my english very bad. i use two models mercedes, w 124 250 diesel(engine602)1990 year and w 202 diesel(engine604) 1994 year . w124 have run 500000 km, w202 have run 300000 km. their engine work very well, run when outside it is -25
celsius. this mercedes very good, must carefully examine engine and turbine. front and rear axle very simple, repair them simply and not very expensive. i do it so afte shopping car , rebuilding all axle . enought about 2 years.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 PM

So, I went to see the car today.

PROS -
Engine appears to be well maintained.
Some new parts on it I think.
Brake fluid, transmission fluid, coolant all look new.
Cold engine fired right up, no white smoke out the exhaust.
Transmission shifted smoothly at all speeds.
Ran nice and smooth on the interstate.
All electronic devices worked.
No tears in the leather upholstery.
Rear flex disk looks pretty new (couldn't see the front one)
A/C cold, has the Nipponsendo? compressor.
Dealer has the original alloy wheels for it.
Cruise control works, moon roof works too.

CONS-
I think it had been repainted, Finish is too glossy for 17 years.
Right front door has some dents, right passenger window scratched.
Driver door window works but kind of jerky.
Front headlight lenses have a lot of micro cracks.
Headliner is drooping in a few spots.
Needs a good interior cleaning, parts of it are too grungy for me. Easy to clean though.
Gear shifter vibrated, probably can fix it.
Telescoping antenna is broken.

And here are a lot more picture of it then you ever wanted to see. Click on them to enlarge.

Last edited by Oldwolf; 04-16-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:22 PM

And more....

Last edited by Oldwolf; 04-16-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:23 PM

I know you are REALLY bored now...so here are a few more.

Last edited by Oldwolf; 04-16-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 PM

it is no 300 diesel, this is 250 diesel(5 cylinder). all image very small

Last edited by oldmercedes; 04-15-2009 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: 1992 300D 2.5, Need Advice Please