Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1987 Mercedes-Benz 190-TURBO DIESEL GREASECAR

Old 06-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Default 1987 Mercedes-Benz 190-TURBO DIESEL GREASECAR

Hi - I just joined this forum because I would like to buy an older Mercedes diesel. This one is 4 sale in my area for $2500.

I am hoping you all here in the forum could give me some feedback on this one. i attached the pics that are on the ad.

Thanks!

IT HAS 299K HOWEVER IT HAS BEEN VERY WELL MAINTAINED THE LAST 15 YEARS.
I HAVE OWNED THE CAR FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS AND IT WAS OWNED BY A MERCEDES MECHANIC FOR 10+ YEARS BEFORE THAT.
IT HAS A PROFESSIONAL GREASE CAR KIT AND RECENTLY ALL THE HOSES WERE REPLACED.
WITHIN THE LAST 10000 MILES THE FOLLOWING REPAIRS HAVE BEEN MADE

WHEEL BEARINGS ALL AROUND
NEW STARTER
NEW FUEL PUMP
NEW GLOW PLUGS
NEW RADIATOR HOSES
NEW BLOWER MOTOR
EVERY YEAR I TAKE IT TO A REPUTABLE TRANSMISSION SHOP AND HAVE THEM SERVICE AND ADJUST THE TRANSMISSION
IT SHIFTS VERY SMOOTH.
NEW STRUTS AND TIE ROD ENDS
IT JUST PASSED INSPECTION AND HAS A BRAND NEW STICKER

Attached Thumbnails 1987 Mercedes-Benz 190-TURBO DIESEL GREASECAR-mercedes-1.jpg   1987 Mercedes-Benz 190-TURBO DIESEL GREASECAR-mercedes-2.jpg   1987 Mercedes-Benz 190-TURBO DIESEL GREASECAR-mercedes-3.jpg   1987 Mercedes-Benz 190-TURBO DIESEL GREASECAR-mercedes-4.jpg  
Old 06-06-2013, 08:15 AM

ok - but what are you talking about?

are you saying the grease car kit is garbage?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:53 AM

thanks for the info.

I'm curious though - so you're saying that if the oil had been transesterified it would been ok?

(I had to look that up to see what you were talking about.)

Old 06-10-2013, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by itsmesunny
thanks for the info.

I'm curious though - so you're saying that if the oil had been transesterified it would been ok?

(I had to look that up to see what you were talking about.)
Transesterified = made into BioDiesel.

BioD and veggy/WVO are quite different. Trouble with running WVO is very very few people do it properly-

Therefore it nearly Always results in huge issues down the road. Gummed rings and stuffed-up fuel systems are common when people 'just do it'

To prepare WVO properly for use as fuel--Is nearly as complicated as making Proper BioDiesel out of it.
Twin-Tanks, FPHE, Extra filters and all that crap just isnt good enough--when the owner fills the tank with crappy, wet, high FFA tallow-loaded, hardly filtered Rubbish he got out of a dumpster!

Result is the same--Car dies and gets put up for sale.

Ive run WVO for well over 10 years, with few if any issues, but as the work involved to purify is nearly as much to make Proper BioDiesel--Thats now what I do, and have done for a long time. VERY few go to the trouble to purify WVO properly or for that matter to prepare the engine properly either.

I would treat that car with suspicion--Why does he want to sell--seeing its so good, (and cheap to run)!

As to price--Ive not much clue as to that for a 190D in USA--but it seems a lot for a 20 year old car.... It would have to be nearly concourse to command That price here in UK!

£500 would be closer to the mark!

Old 08-09-2013, 12:28 AM

honestly with WVO you better off just diluting it to a good degree with diesel and just running it as a "summer only" fuel.

10%WVO/10% WMO/80% diesel.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
That is extremely bad advice that will cause engine damage.

Engine oil (WMO) is NOT a fuel. It contains soot and trace metals too small for the fuel filter to remove that will cause severe wear to the injection system. It also contains additives specifically to prevent it from burning, thats why a car consuming oil makes blue smoke.
im not saying run a large amount of it. but if it can be burned in a WMO heater without causing a ruckus, than its fine to run in a motor. as long as you dilute it. obviously you dont just dump oil straight from an oil pan to the tank, you must strain it pretty good.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 AM

WMO,--Shheesh!

Dont expect to use That Trash and have no issues!

Ive used a WMO burner on a 300kW Steam Boiler I ran my BioDiesel plant on for process heat--A machine specifically designed for WMO, made in Germany by a Co called Kroll.

Great machine--But needs Very Regular and careful Maintenance to work reliably, and you Have to feed it 'Good' used motor-oil.....

As to use in any engine as a fuel--WMO = Black-Death!

Use ONLY to get you outta SERIOUS TROUBLE--Like life or death stuck in the desert!

Old 08-14-2013, 08:46 AM

Thoroughly mix WVO, and WMO in a clear sided container, let it set and see what happens after a couple of days, maybe a week. You will see a thick black sludge at the bottom of the container. Do you really want to do that to your car??

Old 10-03-2013, 09:37 PM

A better "summer fuel" mixture is 40% clean process WVO - 40% Diesel - 10% Gasoline. My brother started using this mixture in a 1999 F250 7.3 when the odometer read 200k. He sold the truck with 430k - all original injectors except 2. Now I'm using this fuel mixture myself.

Opposing arguments welcome!

Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
NEVER use gasoline in ANY amount in a diesel!
Just because somebody else is doing it doesn't mean was an intelligent decision for them.

Anybody that uses WVO, SVO, WVO, ATF or gasoline in their diesel is causing harm to their engine.
Your diesel was designed to run on diesel, nothing else.
SO diesel invented the "diesel" didnt use what we know as diesel fuel to invent the engine? "diesel" is the ONLY fuel that cumbusts in the conditions in a "diesel" engine? im pretty sure thats a noooo. just because its "recomended" not to doesnt mean that its not safe to run that kind of mix.

IF the engine is running fine and your not using something corrusive (or creates something corrosive) your fine. granted you should check the injectors regularly.

injectors, glow plugs, and the injector pump should be CLEANED regulary regardless of fuel used.