Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1985 mercedes 300D

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Question 1985 mercedes 300D

It is loud and I have rebuilt the injectors, adjusted the valves. It is still as loud as a garbage truck, so loud that people hear me driving past their house early in the morning they come running out to the street with garbage can. I done a diesel purge too. 330,000 on the clock.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:53 PM

Maybe a hole in your exhaust system.

Was there a problem you were having before you installed the Injectors?

If you feel it is related to your Engine burning the Fuel. You might consider your Engine Compression, Camshaft Timing and Fuel Injection Pump Timing.
When you had the Injectors out did you look inside the pre-chambers and inspect the Ball Pins to see if they were still there or burned up or deformed.

Also everyone seem to have their own idea of what Rebuilt means. Did you send your Injectors to a shop and have them rebuilt, Exchange them or do it yourself?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 AM

I meant by loud the, the diesel clang, the exhaust is good it is quiet in that respect. I replaced injector nozzles myself. I realize that they are supposed to be within 50 bar of each other. I do not have the tester that you use to see what pressure they pop at.
I do need to do a compression check, and check the pump timing. I am certain that with 333,000 miles on it the timing chain needs to be replaced too. Thanks for your advice diesel9112.

Last edited by mistermercedes; 08-12-2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: grammar and spelling
Old 08-12-2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by mistermercedes
I meant by loud the, the diesel clang, the exhaust is good it is quiet in that respect. I replaced injector nozzles myself. I realize that they are supposed to be within 50 bar of each other. I do not have the tester that you use to see what pressure they pop at.
I do need to do a compression check, and check the pump timing. I am certain that with 333,000 miles on it the timing chain needs to be replaced too. Thanks for your advice diesel9112.
I think it is 5 bar not a 50 bar differance when compared to the other injectors i the set.

Low Pop/opening pressures cause the Fuel to be Injected earlier thanit is supposed to.

To get some idea of you Camshaft Timing and Timing Chaine Stretch (you will need tor remove the Valve Cover)- Rotating the Enigine it the direction it operates in (clockwise) with the #1 piston coming up on the compression stroke line up the timing mark at the back of the Camshaft Drive Gear with the timing mark on the 1st Camshaft Bearing Tower. Center them.
Look down at the degree marks on your Crankshaft Damper and see what the pointer indicates. Zero represents Top Dead Center (TDC) which is what it is supposed to be set at when the Engine was new.
I am going to try to add a picture. This is my Engine and the picture has 2 parts/split image to it.
On the Left side is a picture of the timing marks being lined up and on the Right side is a picture of the degree marks on my Crankshaft Damper showing about 2 past Zero (TDC) indicating my Camshaft timing is 2 degrees late (I have about 200K miles on the Enigine).

Attached Thumbnails 1985 mercedes 300D-z3.jpg  

Last edited by Diesel9112; 08-12-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Default 85 300d

Thanks for that info Diesel9112, I just got around to pulling the valve cover and checking that timing. If what I see is correct mine is around 5 degrees before top dead center. The picture you are showing shows o degrees past or after the tab, mine is before. I assume that one revolution of the crank is at the compression stroke, as I turned it around again and lined up the marks and got the same reading, and the cam lobe was facing the same way. I appreciate the help too. I know little about diesel injection systems.