Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

1984 300d turbo diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Default 1984 300d turbo diesel

Just purchased a 84 300d turbo diesel miles on her. The engine is great, after sitting for 5 months she started right up. I'm having 2 problems with her:

1. The directional don't work. I'm almost positive that the problem with them is the directional unit itself.

2. Upon stepping on the accellarator pedal from a complete stop I have to put it to the floor to get her to move. Once moving she goes fine, moves right through the gearing. No problem with the passing gear or the cruise control.

Any help with the problems I'm having would be greatly appreciated.

Thorob

Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 PM

Mine was dangeriously slow when I got it; with the same symptom.
I found it was due to too much play/slack in the linkages from the Pedal to the Fuel Injection Pump.
Get a good strong beamed Flashlight and have some one step on the Pedal and see if the Throttle Lever on the side of the Fuel Injection Pump goes all the way to the Screw it is supposed to stop on.
Or simply observe the Linkage as someone slowly steps on the Pedal as compared to the Throttle Arm on the Fuel Injection pump.
One of the sources of a probem can be the Bell Crank on the Fire Wall that the Pedal And Forward Linkage Attach to.
There is a big Plastic Ball type bushing behind it that cracks and crumbles away.

If that is OK trace the Linkage Rod forward and you will see 2 pieces of the linkage Held together with a 10mm Bolt. One part of that Linkage has an adjustment slot that can be used to take up some slack.

The other place it is easy to take up some play is the Linkage Rod that Attaches to the Fuel Injection Pump Throttle lever. Pop it off the Ball at the top end and adjust it to remove the play but so it does not effect the idle speed.

If you plan on keeping your Car and you have a PC (IBM) type Computer and live in the US I would consider buying the Factory Service Manual CD set that covers nearly the whole Car in detail.
Factory Service Manual CD Set $19.99+$7 shipping
http://www.classictechlit.mbusa.com/...ssicTechLit%29
This is the same set but Direct from Mercedes that Mercedesmanuals sells for $53.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the info. I will give it a shot this weekend. I'll definately purchase the CD from Mercedes

Thorob