Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

99 E300 Sunroof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Default 99 E300 Sunroof Problem

Not precisely a diesel issue but the E forum is not nearly as active as this one--and the car is a diesel!
I am having trouble with the sunroof on my 1999 E300. The roof panel opens two ways: A-the rear tilts up and B-the panel retracts into the roof. The sun roof opens fine in either mode, depending on which direction I push/pull the switch. But the switch will not close the panel from the open position in either mode. The only way I can close it is to try to "open" it in the opposite mode and stop just when the panel seems to be closed. This is pretty crude and I can't tell for sure if the roof is REALLY closed. I keep the car in a garage but am reluctant to drive it in the rain! I had this problem a few months ago and a tech at the MB dealer "re-set" (his term) the thing while I watched but I have no idea what he did. The problem sounds like something is wrong with either the switch or whatever controls the mechanism if it is not the switch. Is there something I can do pretty easily to "reset" it before taking it in for repair? Anybody have any suggestions?

Old 10-20-2012, 11:21 PM

I am afraid I don't have the Answer. However, if you are interested in owing the I beleive it is a DVD Mercedes Service Manual from Mercedes I would contact below:

Part numbers for service Manuals STARTEK
Star Service CDs and DVDs
Contact Consumer Promotions at 1-800-FOR-MERCedes for current pricing and ordering information on the accompanying CDs and DVDs that are available for purchase.

If you go to the site you can see what type of operating system is will work with the DVDs.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 AM

I found a suggestion for "resetting" the sunroof operation. Simply pull the switch down as if closing if from the raised/vent position and hold it a few seconds. THis seemed to work and my problem is gone at least for now. Or maybe it resolved itself before I "reset" it.