Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:09 AM
Default Paint Protection

I just got my C350 and wonder if I should get that clear 3M film for the bumper and lights.

Anyone got any experience with those? Do they work? Is it obviouse to tell?

Thanks for your help

Old 11-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Default RE: Paint Protection

hey i talked to a paint/body shop about those..he said hes seen them and they apparently look great(has
only seen them on mercedes) but you need a very,very skilled tech thats certified to accomplish this,
its very easy to leave small faults which result in later, larger faults..the best i can say is call your dealer
and ask them where they send all their cars for paint and body, then call that co. an inquirer..good luck buddy[sm=gears.gif]

Old 01-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Those things are hard to see unless you are right up on the car assuming it's laid properly. They work for those annoying little rock chips and dings but of course something with good velocity will crack, break, or chip a headlight film or not, but not as easily as without.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:07 PM

I have a clear bra installed on my 04 E55 and I love it. No chips at all. Had it on since car was new and its hardly visible.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:47 AM

can u post a pic so i can see how it looks like

Old 10-29-2006, 02:46 AM

not as good with black paint. edges show up but I guess its worth it in the long run

Old 11-01-2006, 11:40 AM
JCT

If your vehicle is brand new I would do it..If it has scratches and chips on it already I'd hold it till you retouch it or purchase another vehicle. The mereceds delaer my way has a couple of vehicles on display right in the showroom you should or see one for yourself They're not that notcieable and alot has to do with the color of your car as well. You can even wax it and from what I've read the color stays the same even if you remove the vinyl.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:58 AM

I have an 06 ML350 and had the 3M clear film applied to the front quarter of the hood and the entire front bumper. The installer also did the side mirrors and I am glad he suggested doing them. I am extremly pleased with not only the installation and the fact that it is truly invisable unless you are really looking. Bugs wash off and those that are stubborn I am not afraid to rub a little harder to remove. I have only taken several trips and thus far no major stone nicks in the film. I am very **** about my cars even though I lease them. There is nothing that makes me more crazy than the front of my care or hood riddled with stone nicks. Waxing over the film is no different than waxing the non-covered portions. Winters here in upState NY are brutal especially since lots of salt and cinders are used which can reak havic on paint.

I paid $350.00 for the product and the installation. It took the installer about 5 hours to do the job. They are extremly particular and are perfectionists.

I highly recommend it and will be having it installed on my wife's new CL when we get it in the spring.

Mark

Old 12-13-2006, 10:38 PM

great stuff!!!!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:39 PM

AMAZING product. look out for 3m though. its not to thick. and some are made of vinal and will yellow. we use 14 mil and its made outta the same chemicals your clear coat is made from. i put ClearBumper on my dads car 2 years and its still on there and looks good as new. to try clearbumper if you want the real deal

Quick Reply: Paint Protection