General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Fuse Box Diagram 2002 C32AMG

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Default Fuse Box Diagram 2002 C32AMG

Good morning. I was wondering if there is anyone out there that have the diagram of the boxes in a C32AMG or even a tandard C-Class? I read the manual and there are three fuse boxes (e.g., engine compartment by the firewall, drivers side - on the side of the dashboard, and trunk compartment). When opening these fuse boxes, it doesn't say which fuse if for which device. Please help. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:33 AM
Default RE: Fuse Box Diagram 2002 C32AMG

Hi,

Have you looked in the "tool box" to see if there is a copy of the fuse chart? My vehicles came with one.

If the motors are trying to work (i.e. hum) then it is likely the steering column has become jammed for some reason. Can't think how but I'm not aware of what the dealer was working on.

Sure the hum is from the steering column adjust motors? Could be the A/C etc.

Does the steering column move with the manual adjust control?

This will confirm if the motors are in fact powered / working etc and that it is just the automatic "convenience" feature that is giving the problem.
Sure the On/Off switch for this feature is turned On?

If the answer to this is YES then things become more difficult.

Stuart

Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 AM

Good morning Stuart,

There are three fuse boxes (e.g., engine compartment by the firewall, drivers side - on the side of the dashboard, and trunk compartment). I checked the trunk compartment and there was none other than a cover with no corresponding diagram. I will check the engine compartment and on the side of the dashboard by the driver's side this morning if there are any fuse diagrams. I find it odd since all cars should have adiagram on the inside cover of the fuse box. I will also check the "tool box" inside the trunk. I will let you know.

I took the car for repair as there was a small leak from the center somewhere underneath the transmission. What the leak was, was a thirteen pin connector that have become brittle (since bought new in November 2001). It was a $300 repair and worth it. I thought for awile it was a transmission leak or radiator leak. I had the car towed to the dealership as I did not know what the leak was and avoided further risk. I took all the necessary precautions and steps when the car was towed on a flatbed.

The manual buttons on the door to adjust the headrest, seats, steering column to push in and out are all working. The C32AMG came with power/electric steering wheel adjust and are not manual. Thesterring wheeel to tilt "hums" but does not move and appears to be stuck.I tried to reset via the "Convenience Feature" and the issue with tilting the steering wheel still does not work.I am positive the"humming" comes from the steering wheel trying to "tilt" up when the "Convenience Feature" is turned on, and is not the A/C.

The position of the steering wheel is on its lowest level (tilt). It is a good thing I am small and still can adjust the electric seats so I can at least drive the car in a comfortable manner. I know the damage happenned in the dealership as everything was working fine until I got the car back. I just don't know who did it as nobody admitted when asked.

I appreciate your advice and was wondering if there is/are anybody out there who had this fixed and or repaired. If it was repaired how much did it cost them.

Thank you,
Florencio

Old 11-30-2008, 10:39 PM

Good Morning Florencio,

I'm afraid that I cannot help much more since I am not actually familiar with the C Class although its design will be similar to other cars in the MB range.
I agree that the fuse positions should be marked and on my car are either in the handbook, on a sheet of paper with the tools or on the lid / inside the lid of the fuse boxes.
Can't think why your car should have no ID.

WRT the oil leak. The electrical multi-connector to the trans (Auto I assume) is a notorious leak point. This point is actually above the fluid level but when the trans is in use oil spray can find its way out via this route if the "O" rings are damaged / nicked or of early (material change intro'd) design.
I suspect your car will have an undertray and this usually masks leakage, at least until a relatively large amount of oil has collected on the tray and then spills over when the car is parked on a hill etc.

WRT the steering wheel adjust.
I showed interest since I also have a problem on my w220 S Class and even after 4 years of ownership I haven't got to the root of this problem.
On my car there is a lever (electrical like the indicators) on the steering column cowl that 1. allows the system to select Manual or Auto and 2. serves as the mechanism (joystick) by which the column is moved In/Out, Up/Down. When I referred to "Manual" I intended to convey Convenience Auto feature OFF.
Yes I appreciate that the movement is electrically driven.

Now on my car the electric motors work fine under "Manual" direction. In/Out/Up/Down. However, once in a while when using the Auto Convenience feature (I usually have this selected) the column fails to move under it's own direction when I insert the key and I get a "DO NOT DRIVE - ENTRY POSITION" warning because the column is not in an acceptable position from the point of view of the Air Bag permitted envelope.

Now whatever I do the steering column will not move "automatically" BUT it does using "Manual" control. However navigating to an acceptable position "Manually" does not remove the "DO NOT DRIVE" warning. This situation only occurs once every lets say 9 months, lasts for anything from"till the next start" or alternatively a week or so, and then self corrects.
Absolutely everything else on the car is working fine.

I suspect that it is linked with some "strange" CAN / ECU issue (digital highway) but it has completely baffled me despite understanding how the system works. Of course I could fit a new column and ECU (mega dollars!) but the slight inconvenience is more a desire to understand why it doesn't work rather than a real problem.

So maybe there is a link between our issues / maybe not.

Since you are adamant that the motors are "humming" it suggests that your problem maybe different and MECHANICALLTY (i.e. jammed), rather than electrically, based.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I will be interested in what is "jamming" your column.

Stuart