Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

OM617 Powered 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:43 AM

I am officially getting 20 MPG mixed highway/city. Alda maxed out at 5 1/2 turns ccw, I ran it back to 5even. No real noticeable gain from 4 1/2-5 1/2. Now its time to adjust valves and clean up pre chambers. That may get me some better MPG numbers. Truck is running great, I probably should have resealed the bottom end of the motor when I had it out. It will come out in the spring anyway. I can do it then. So aside from marking its territory it is a great motor and has turned out to be a better than stock swap. If I can get a little more low end power and some mpg's in the high 20s low 30s, it will be a success.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the input! I don't think the alda is broken. I still have pretty good fuel enrichment w/boost. I am typically pretty gentle when adjusting. Anyway, I replaced my turbo drain grommet, adjusted the valves and used the reamer I made to clean out pre-chambers again. I also replaced all of my oil pan bolts and some of the 6mm Allen head bolts further back on the block. The truck is running better than ever. I also verified timing. Really impressed w/acceleration and throttle response. The Dakota digital dsl-1d showed up this week. I need to buy an optical tachometer to get real rpm from the crank pulley. Then I will be able to adjust the Dakota digital so the stock toyota tach will be accurate. I now only have a slight rear main seal leak, once the tach works I may take a break until spring, aside from rebuilding the trans. My other OM617 needs to be gone through and readied for another swap. I am going to try to convert a Gen 3 4runner next. I am looking forward to doing some driving now! Should see some better mpg numbers now. Doesn't look like we are going to get much snow this year. 4x4 is a necessity regardless. I need to get a car dolley so I can buy more Mercedes in the spring.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:48 PM

Mileage is now at 24mpg mixed driving. I will be upgrading to 33x10.5X15 bf Goodrich kos when they are needed. 70 MPH is not bad in 5th. Based on 1 of the online rpm calculators I am hitting 3101rpm at 75 MPH. So with the 33s I should be around 3600 rpm at 100 MPH. I did verify my optical tach meter is accurate. So when I get around to putting the dakota digital signal converter in I will be able to verify rpm and set it. I will also see if the truck will start at -10F w/a waste oil mix Thurs. morning. It won't be long before I will be making W115 intakes for the om617s. I was very happy with the power improvements by switching intakes. So everything I drive will have 1.