Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes here. Keep it clean.

Need Input

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Smile Need Input

I'm currently shopping around for a mercedes for my wife as a second vehicle. I've narrowed it down to the E Class 95- 00 or the S Class 94-99. Now I've never owned a mercedes before, so I'd appreciate as much information (pros & cons) of both classes. What do I need to be aware of, what is the longevity of these cars, things like that. I'm not afraid to work on a car, so what's the reliability?
I look forward to reading all the suggestions.
George

Old 10-26-2010, 01:11 PM

If all maintenance performed on time, and documented, I'd go for the E. Simpler and cheaper to maintain.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

what to look for on those cars is basically the same. Maintanence records is key, proper regular mainantence, the simple stuff. Alright, with those year rangs you are talking about 3 body styles/generations, and two different S-class (Pre-face lift post face lift)

Alright, after making sure all of them are maintained you cant go wrong with either one but here are some pointers of each. I wont tell you which one is best because that depends on what you want, needs, etc. But here's things to consider between these.

The 1994-1995 E-class is considered of of the most reliable yt modern Benzes out there. The 3.2 (E320) isnt so bad on maintence when stuff breaks and it will go forever. The 4.2 (E420) is about the same, common but it have bit more pick up and go at the exspense of using a little more gas and two extr cylinders which means you'll have to buy two extra spark plugs which is just the nature of the beast of owning any V-8 or up. I know common sense but you'll be surprised at how many people are shocked. "ZOMG! they charged me twice more for spark plugs for my V-8 Mercedes than my Honda (inline 4 version)!! This is car is too much to maintain!" This car isnt going anywhere. Look and be wary of rust for any of them. Most 94-95 dont have too much that problem unless shabby body work or rust belt as they are 15 years now.
1996-2000 E-class is the next design. Frog eyes as they call it. The interior might make the 94-95 seem tad outdated inside but to me the finish on the 94-95 was better over all (not bad nonetheless). But the 96-00 is plentyful and lot of good deals out there. This E-class is more updated. 96-99 are easy to spot because the rear lights (reverse lights) are semi circle shaped. The ones later 99 and up have reverse lights very similar to the CLKs of that time period. The steerign wheel also got updated in 2000 and other few minor updates. And the E420 was changed to E430 in the year 2000 or 2001 (cant remember exact). Early examples of the 96-98 E-class had problems with premature rusting een outside the rust belt due to the change where MBZ messed up with some water based paint. Most examples had been corrected by now but look closely at the body of these things as some places just painted over the rust and try to tack on a price as if they painted the whole car in solid gold flake paint. Painting over the rust dont solve th problem but jut hide for a while until it rust through that is. Problem should've been solved by the 99 ones but check anyways to be safe. If you been in a 300 touring, you ot an idea of what the ride quality of the 96-00 E-class is like. It's nice overall.
The S-Class. This is the big dog, the top of the line, the near to over 100,000 vehicle in the mid 90s and it will remind of that fact in the repair shop if the maintence is bad and or shabbily done. Gt it looke over first BEFORE you buy especially if you not sure.That extra $100 is super well spent as even a clean looking example can turn out to be a toad if not properly maintained. 94-96 S-class "only" complaint is the wire harness. Check it out and I mean really check it out. Touch it, feel it, touch it again, let it roll between your fingers (car shut off and battery disconnected first maybe.). That sounds silly I know but in those ages, those wire harnesses tend to degrade as in a way they was meant to be bidegradable but caused more problems than needed. One tell tell sign is if you step into a S-class and turn it on and you get all types of crazy electrical stuff going on, usually multiple unrelated stuff andall the fuses/mechanics/vaccums are good, then if you buy that car, you are probably looking at a new wire harness. When you touching it it tends to crumble in the hands or if you see exposed wires. Sometimes they are hard to spot so it pays to have a mechanic to do it if you dont know exactly what to look for. Besides that, mechanically those things will run good. Sometimes comfort items go, and if you one that bugs about it, then the S500 and up is probably not for you. S420 maybe, but want the body but not the V-8, the legendary 3.2 is avail in this car too. Now keep in mind, it's about the same engine in the 95 E320 with extra weight to move aound so that six wont have you zipping around like a grasshopper and if saving gas is more priority then E320 might be better option for that. If you want more features and space and willing to give up a few mpgs then S320 is good. It is the more simpler S_classes to deal with a they usually come with the basic yet substantial equipment (talking by US standards in EU you still can get role down windows and manual cloth seats). The S420 is the median between the S320 and S500. It have mor get up and go but naturally burns more gas. The S500 is the in a hurry car with all the bells and whistles about. Key thing is with the S500 and some S420s they have the rear hydromatic suspension. Make sure it operates, and no leaks. If it's inoperable, or leaks beyond simple gaskets, turn away from it unless they are going to give it to you for free. 94 is the last pre-face lift S-class. front end is a little different nd rear end lights are a little different. The reverse light bar is straight across and the corner are a little bit more square and I think it's either this year or the next was the last of the cool dual guiding anntenae. You'll miss them sometimes if the S-class you have after 95 dont have the sonar ones. Oh and last of the deep ribbed lights for S-class. 1995 first year of facelift. Reverse light bar kinda curves along each side o the trunk lid, like little subtle wings. 1996 inside, you get the new digital AC control panel same as found in the 96-00 E-class. and same problems (Will get to that next paragraph.) 1997 inside by now all digital mileage/temp/trip mileage guage and front door side airbags. Outside updated. turn signals are white and clear. 1998 inside you get new arm rest. changed from the (imo better looking one) to the dual compartment looking one cup holders. 1999 unchanged (prepping for the end and take over of the W220) besides the grand edition S500 which gets a single color leather S-600 style interior and special 1998-99 S600 steering wheel (Handstiched looking all leather wheel with actual MBZ medallion (Non subdued)) but those are rare.

The AC if you thought the old MBZ Acs are pain the ***, then get a Mercedes of the mid 90s and up with a neglected AC and you'll wish for a W126 AC. On the other hand, if you get one that is good to go, then the W126 ones dont stand a chance as the newer ones are relatively less problematic but keep in mind lot more complicated too. You never owned a Mercedes, but not sure what car you owned prior but if the AC is not working right in the W140 or the E-class of 96-00, and I mean it should be perfect from blowing cold to doing what you te it to do through the push buttons, thenyou might find a whole can of worms. The seller might try to pull the "oh it just need a recharge and you'll be fine." Sometimes it might be the case but the question should be especially after pressure testing it and or the AC compressor is not coming on, as to what happened to the last freon that was in there as those ACs are not designed to leak much. The kick is that if you buy that car and for what ever must get into the dash whether it's for a $5 vaccum pod or expansion valve or leak in the evaporator than you in trouble. If you can do it yourself, get a six pack of something, brush up on the curse words and set aside a weekend as the dashes in thoseW140s and E-classes of 96-00 was not designed to be removed often even though with a problematic AC yu'll be under there often. And if you get someone else to do it, they are probably will be drooling over the incoming cash that they are about to recieve from you and even then might want to keep a few curse words handy because you're wallet will unless you smoke hand rolled Cubans lit with $100 bills every two hours. If it's good to go though, then you're good for a while. These cars will run with the best of the modern cars these days and you wont go wrong with either choice as it boils down to what you wat and need. Keep in mind, the S-class have more options but when you talking about the 1994-97 time period, those cars are getting gray aroun the muzzle and will have normal old car things regardless of mileage. The S-class front end (esp V-8 and V-12 versions) usually will be lookng at gettign the rubber replaced on the front end. The 94-95 e-class dont ride as nice but it's tad more simple and not as heavy and thus front end last long time.
Here you will hear three cases usually. One side will say get the E-class hands down. Some will swear by the 97-99 S-class hands down. While the third will swear by the 94-96 S-class hands down. And they all are right and I'm sure they will all agree that proper maintance, whether it's an A-class Mercedes to the Maybach, is a kicker and will kick your wallet if you dont do the homework.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

the first W126, the 560SEL i found in some random local paper.
The BMW was in a dealership warehouse just sitting there.
The second MBZ 420SEL was a random find for $2000 sitting in the lot of some used car dealer. (It was risky purchase but been around these things to know a good buy and I do most work myself). Turned out a good gamble.
Test drove all three before purchased and slept on it. But glad I have one more source to look as the 300 should be sold soon and I'll be looking for another one when I get a new job and settled in. From the military back to the civilian world I go.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Post Where's the fuse box for the Lock system for MB 2001 E320??

Need advise ASAP...
Hi everybody. I recently bought a very cool 2001 MB E-320 that the only
thing that needed to be fixed was the doors/truck remote lock system.
Based on the mechanic the fuse box that control these needed to be replaced. The only problem is that "they can't find the fuse box"??
I thought that there's only 3 places to look for: the back seat (where the battery is), the engine and the driver's door (on near by the door).
It has taken them a week to get the right fuse box and another week to find where to insert it???? I facilitate them the Owner's Manual because last Friday they came with this weird answer...that the fuse box was located at the car's interior ceiling????? I don't think so.
Can anyone please tell me where this fuse box is located in the car or have anyone has this same experience? I love this car (I also owe a 2005 MB CLK320 Convertible that is amazing) and the engine and everything else is good...just the annoying lock system.
Thank you in advance!