New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:37 AM
Default New member

Hi guys & gals. My name is Steve and just this minute joined the forum.
Long story short I've had S type and X type jags for last few years. Bitterly disappointed with my current X type as I'm convinced there's an injector problem looming and it's going next week before I have to spend even more on it!
So! .. I now want a MERC.
I have got my pennies together and will go out next week with approx £8300 cash.
My question to you is this;
In my position what model would you go for? I love C class and E class. Having had a quick scout on internet I know I'm looking at anything from 2007 to 20011 dependant on model and mileage.
I guess I'm also asking if there are common problems with certain models as I discovered them all on my X type Jag lol. Dual mass flywheel, clutch, rotten sills, injector problems, etc etc.
Thanks in advance of any replies. 😃

Old 09-11-2016, 08:09 AM

Hello Steve, Welcome to the forum. I live in Canada and in the area where I live Jags are rather rare. There are a few Lotus / Ferrari /etc. But our roads are to say the least, unfriendly to this type of vehicle . But we have lots of private 4 wheel drive lorries that
are quite capable of incredible straight line acceleration. Yes a mate of mine owns a 1200 hp diesel. Its a deathtrap with a high center of gravity and brakes that were not ever intended for rallying.
You ask about dual mass flywheels. They are a expensive to replace and good thing. What I know as a mechanic is this, depending on the driver of course, somewhere around 250,000 kms. the dual mass flywheels start to show signs of wear. If you do not pay attention transmission input bearing failure can occur if you leave it too long. They make shifting easier and smoother, plus reduce drive line shock. Often with a high mileage vehicle people simply replace with a standard flywheel due to cost.
My suggestion is this. Once you find a potential car and have test driven it, try hard to find a fully licenced mechanic that works on its type regularly. Be very honest with the mechanic about your driving habits and budget. Pay to have the mechanic test drive it and inspect it for you. The written full inspection should include things such as actually measuring brake calipers and pads, brake fluid inspection, timing belt or chain
visual and more. It will cost you . However discovering just one hidden issue before you purchase can save you a lot more. I went with a mate to inspect a 2005 Merc convertible in Vancouver Canada dealership. It was a real pretty unit with low kms. Price was a bit high. I crawled underneath it and immediately told him to run from this dealership. Some fool had used fibre glass to cover up a road salt rotted out floor. Take someone you trust who knows what to look for with you. Allan

Old 09-11-2016, 12:28 PM

Hi Allan. Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I've made my decision and am going for a E class 3 litre V6 and a good friend of mine who is more clued up mechanically than I is coming with me when we go car hunting.
I think my initial question really was 'does any particular model of Merc have a bad reputation i.e. poor gearbox, or electrical problems etc'.
Was hoping this forum would be able to advise seeing as every member of it has a Merc. You can't beat experience.
Cheers, Steve.

Old 09-21-2016, 12:20 AM

Hello Steve, Yes clarity in questions is important. The problem trying to give a great answer is some of us are not wealthy enough to afford a new 2017
gosh gee wow with all the bells and whistles plus more. I own 3 , they are all old, plus I have a parts wreck. By today's standards they are barely safe at hyway speeds. However they are not show cars , and all are 30 or more years. Watching the forum there is a lot of great archived material . You asked what to avoid, frankly I dislike automatics, and like 15 speed gear boxes. Yes I have my air brakes licence that is a requirement for that inline 6 Merc. diesel.Yes its hard for my friend to find parts for, and is his best buddy when placer gold mining. I certainly would not venture to recommend you buy a Merc Unimog. Thankfully we were well strapped in when he rolled it a few years back.
I am glad you are taking a friend and I hope you stay as a member and post some pictures. Enjoy your new ride Allan

Old 10-19-2016, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fenton Lad
Hi Allan. Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I've made my decision and am going for a E class 3 litre V6 and a good friend of mine who is more clued up mechanically than I is coming with me when we go car hunting.
I think my initial question really was 'does any particular model of Merc have a bad reputation i.e. poor gearbox, or electrical problems etc'.
Was hoping this forum would be able to advise seeing as every member of it has a Merc. You can't beat experience.
Cheers, Steve.

Congrats Steve, I think you'll really enjoy the E-class. If you're planning on doing any diy projects or maintenance; check out our site's technical articles. They'll save you money and lots of headaches.

-Dmitry