New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

88 420 SEL rear-ended

Old 09-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Default 88 420 SEL rear-ended

My beautiful 88 420 SEL was rear-ended 3 days ago. A Toyota 4-runner rear-ended me driving the truuck over my bumper therefore crushing the rear light panel and buckling the trunk. She pushed the panel in about a foot. I did drive the car 1 mile to a friend's house thereafter. The adjuster came today, waiting for other driver's insurance company to call tomorrow. I have specified only a MB dealer is authorized to complete repairs. I am the 2nd owner, original owner garaged the car and I bought it 2 years ago and have not put one dollar in the car except one oil change and some oil - it is a cherry...strangers always ask to buy it from me. Question: retail is $5000 and 3rd party sale is $3500. What do you think the course of events will be after adjuster submits estimate to ins. co. tomorrow - if they want to total it don't I still get a chance to have my own estimate and if they total it what next? If they agree to fix it will the car be the same considering it was in great condition as the adjuster noted tonight? One thing I did note tonight the battery has died since the accident indicating, at least to me, something shorted out the battery after the crash - but the car ran for 4 hours after the crash because I pulled it in a garage 4 hours after the driving it one mile from the crash site to a friend's house then an hour later put it in their garage. Mileage 156000, automatic, sunroof, power package, V8. Really appreciate your feedback, information, and advice. I have had a string of unfortunate events in the last week and this just put the icing on the cake. Thank you suzyc@earthlink.net

Old 09-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Default RE: 88 420 SEL rear-ended

I am really sorry to hear this! And what is even sadder is that the insurance pay out will only be what the repair costs will be or the value of the vehicle, whichever is less. If they total loss the vehicle, and pay the value of the vehicle, I believe you have the option to take those monies and add to them, and get your vehicle fixed. But you'll have title issues, in that it'll be reported I believe as total loss, which would make your resale value probably zero dollars. Not to mention full disclosure should you decide to do so.

Now let me also say that I'm not an insurance agent/adjuster; nor am I an attorney, and am not trying to engage in the practice of law without a license. So, check with your state agency or insurance commissioner to find out what the law is, and what your options (if any) are! Good luck with that. Let us know how it turns out!