New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

2002 CL500... Active Body Control Warning keeps coming on!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Default 2002 CL500... Active Body Control Warning keeps coming on!

Hi everyone

I've bought a CL500 2002 on 107,000 miles about 7 weeks ago and only recently, the ABC warning message keeps on coming on!

Sometimes the 'visit workshop' one comes on but the Active Body Control ABC Drive carefully comes on and stays on the most.

Could it be a leak? I've purchased Hydraulic Oil from Mercedes main dealership and will b picking it up tomorrow but what else could it be?

I've been reading up on it and have seen some HORROR stories about the ABC pump and all that but are there any indications like weird noises that could mean that it is the pump and not just a top up of the ABC fluid?

Appreciate your replies!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by KamCL
Hi everyone

I've bought a CL500 2002 on 107,000 miles about 7 weeks ago and only recently, the ABC warning message keeps on coming on!

Sometimes the 'visit workshop' one comes on but the Active Body Control ABC Drive carefully comes on and stays on the most.

Could it be a leak? I've purchased Hydraulic Oil from Mercedes main dealership and will b picking it up tomorrow but what else could it be?

I've been reading up on it and have seen some HORROR stories about the ABC pump and all that but are there any indications like weird noises that could mean that it is the pump and not just a top up of the ABC fluid?

Appreciate your replies!
first check the ABC fluid level. it should be at the bottom line when the engine is running, and at the top line when engine is off. you probably do have some fault codes in the ABC system for something. They are very expensive systems to fix and they do have a lot of issues, especially the earlier cars like yours. Some of the time an ABC system flush and filter can help because the fluid gets old and dirty and should be flushed out. but flushing the system the correct way uses about 10 quarts of ABC fluid, possibly a little more. Usually the main issues are the ABC valve blocks, you have 2 of them, front axle and rear axle. good luck and post back to let us know what the issue was. Also you might want to check with an MB dealership to se if you have any open recalls or campaigns on the ABC system. There were recalls on the ABC lines, they get replaced.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:34 AM

Thank you chassis221
I tried opening the top of the ABC fluid reservoir in the engine bay yesterday but no matter how hard i tried, i couldnt get the top off! Any suggestions on how to open this or is there a new way that Mercedes have introduced that I didn't have a clue about?

Old 01-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by KamCL
Thank you chassis221
I tried opening the top of the ABC fluid reservoir in the engine bay yesterday but no matter how hard i tried, i couldnt get the top off! Any suggestions on how to open this or is there a new way that Mercedes have introduced that I didn't have a clue about?
you don't use the screw off cap, you use the small black rubbery/plastic thing. that's the dipstick. you have to kind of twist it and pull up the sides. use your fingertips to pull it out. There are 2 dipsticks. one on each tank. check both of them.

Last edited by chassis221; 01-15-2014 at 09:38 PM.