New Mercedes Benz Forum Members Area Just joining us here at Mercedes Benz Forum? Stop in, say hi, introduce yourself and your ride.

2001 ml320 bas/esp/ets/abs lights

Old 05-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Default 2001 ml320 bas/esp/ets/abs lights

hi. i hope someone will help me with this problem. when i start the car no lights are on when i drive a little the bas/esp/ets/abs lights come on all at the same time and my break pedal feels kind of soft. so what i did i took all the speed sensors out clean the contacts that didnt help.so i went to a dealer here to do the diognastic they did it said that my abs pump is bad told me $3700 in repairs so o went got me abs pump replaced it myself bleed the system all this work and $$$$ im upset so if someone could help me that would be awesome. i called back the same dealer that i did the diagnostic told them that there reading was faulse so they told me to come back monday so i will go see what they will say this time. i just dont think they know what they talking about all they know how to take ur money thats for sure. help me up people thank you ....

Old 05-15-2009, 04:21 PM

usually you need to program the abs pump and initialize it after installing a new one. there are also issues with the abs relay going bad in the fuse box. check all the fuses and relays.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:26 PM

can it be one of the sensors bad ?? is there a way how to check speed sensor if it good?? can it be master cylinder bad? help me guys..... thank you

Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 PM

how do you program or initialize the pump?? i bought a used one i mean it works just like the one i took out. relay i didnt check how can i check if its good?? thank you so much for the fast help

Old 05-15-2009, 04:52 PM

on your fuse box lid there is a chart that will tell you what fuses are which and what relays are which. look for traction control or ESP or BAS relays or fuses. its hard to say which sensors are bad without a benz computer. if you would have taken it to the dealer which im sure you dont want to do, and i dont blame you at all..they would have installed it and found that maybe it wasnt the problem and then looked further into the problem but alot of the time its a basic problem... ive seen an ABS pump go bad 2 times in my 8 years of being a tech for benz. swap the ESP or traction control relay with another relay in the fuse box. but mark the one you take out so you know which one was the original relay. first thing to do is check and see if your brake lights are working when you hit the brake...or make sure they are not always on..when not applying the brake. the brake switch is like 20 bucks and easy to replace. i would eliminate that first.

Last edited by chassis221; 05-15-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 PM

i did take it to a dealer and they said its not the sensors he said thats abs
pump %100 so i payed $100 for diagnostic and i spend $500 on the pump and time to replace and i still came out in the same hole. i did look at them relays fuses are good but relay i cant tell so i will go and buy new ones and see. but why would my break pedal be soft i cant break fast??? do you think break light switch would do that?
and when i went to the dealer thats what he said its break light switch but he started the car and hit the break and lights didnt come on they come on only when u drive about 100 feet or so when u turn off the engine and start it back up they off then i start driving all 3 come on. what do u think about master cylinder could that be cuz of that?? when i press the break pedal it feels like its going all the way down just strange. i check the tail lights they work just fine do u think i still need to change the brek light switch??
you said that i have to initialize the pump, how do i do that??
thank you for all your help..

Last edited by igorml; 05-15-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 PM

i was just asking about the break lights cause the switch can cause BAS and ESP lights. so thats not the problem. a soft pedal is generally caused by master cylinder or just plain air in the system also. i really cant give an answer on the abs pump. it is possible that the actual esp control unit could be at fault also. another quick question...when you dstart the car and just let it idle without driving it...and you just push the brakes on do the bas and esp lights come on? or the bas and esp lights only come on when driving it? so just sitting still without driving the car you get no lights at all? this has nothing to do with a soft pedal but i am asking because maybe you could have 2 issues going on. are all your tires the same size? when you drive the car can you use the cruise control? you could also have a bad wheel speed sensor at one of your 4 wheels. did you get a print out of the diagnostic test and the codes that you paid for?

Last edited by chassis221; 05-15-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:39 AM

thats what i think the switch is fine cuz the lights work fine i can press break and the lights dont come on.
i noticed 1 strange thing when i changed the abs pump when i start bleeding the system for air i did driver side then passenger side the pedal was hard but when i got to the rear pedal start to be soft that was kind of strange and i did it for many times i tought maybe some air in a back but no air was coming out so pedal didnt get hard again.
when i start the car and it can idle no lights will come on i can press the pedal and no lights come on and the esp off button works but when i drive a a little without pressing breaks all the lights will come on after 5 sec of driving and then cruice dont work and that esp off button dont work.
but pedal is soft as soon as i start the car do you think a bad master cylinder would make them 3 lights come on?
i didnt get the diagnostic codes from them they just give me a paper that abs pump is bad and module and to replace it will cost me $3700 when i called the guy back i think he told me that they didnt give me the paper with codes that they had from diagnostic. i will ask them monday when i go and ill make sure they dont charge me again for diagnostic and ill make sure i will get the codes.
wheels are the same tires are the same even whear on the tires the same.
speed sensor might be the problem cuz when i drive it detects that weel is slidint or it have differend speed but i would think that dealer service guy would check speed sensors or they dont do that? i took all the speed sensors out and clean them they had alot of dirt on them one of them i couldnt take out so it broke i went and bought a new one. so i guess one of the 3 can be bad.
thank you again

Last edited by igorml; 05-16-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 PM

Hi JImmy today in the morning on the way to the dealer i foundout that my lights didnt come on nomore yeeeyyy i didnt even take it there i just took a little ride and went home so i guess it was a abs pump it just needed some time to reset itself everything is working fine now ower the weekend i switched the relays and took out some of the break fluid there was a little too much. so im glad everything worked out but i still dont know what was the problem for sure.
but my breaks still feel very soft i might try to bleed them some more how do you actually check a master cylinder if its bad?? is there any easy way to find out??
thank you for all your help i guess there still are good people on this world..
how you like philly?? i got famyly there we visit alot and go fishing alot ... thanks again

Old 10-21-2009, 02:16 PM

I am having the issue with the 3 lights on. Took it into the they said it was the ESP control module and that would be $1400 for repair.

Has anyone replaced the module on their own and if so do you need any special MB tools/electronic testers to do it?

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 ml320 bas/esp/ets/abs lights