Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Water in Trunk Lid

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Default Water in Trunk Lid

Hello,
1998 SLK230. When I open the trunk lid after a rain or wash I get water from the trunk lid (latch mechanism) that runs out when the lid is about 1/2 way raised. Is there a drain hole somewhere in the lid that may be clogged?

Thanks

Old 07-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Default RE: Water in Trunk Lid

Apart from water in the lid check the PSE unit in the boot (in foam box next to jack), is not wet. Many problems if it gets wet.

Bazzle

Old 07-13-2006, 04:53 AM
Default RE: Water in Trunk Lid

Water should not enter the boot lid.
If water is getting into the lid I suspect the drain channel around the aperture must be blocked somewhere PLUS the plastisol crimp seal (where the outer and inner boot lid panels meet at the crimp join) on the boot lid (not the black boot aperture seal) must be faulty. Alternatively your boot must already be very wet below the false floor level and you are getting condensation on the inside of the boot lid.
Find out where the water is getting in if you want to avoid all sorts of expensive problems...RUST and ELECTRONICS.

Do you park nose down on a hill? I suspect so in which case water can collect in the forward corners of the drain channel around the boot aperture if the forward drains are blocked and overflow into the boot if the black seal is faulty or somehow find its way into the lid. These drains (one per side) can become blocked with debris (pine needles etc) and also if the rear bumper has been incorrectly fitted (pinched tube). has the car had a new rear bumper?
If you are having water into the boot problems ensure water cannot track down the leads into the PSE unit which is located immediately beneath the RH boot finisher below the boot floor level (foam bundle)