Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

slk230 start error

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Default slk230 start error

please can anyone help with this?

when trying to start my 230k it sometimes comes up with an error message saying 'start error', this doesnt happen all the time and when it does it can sometimes be overcome by locking and un-locking the car and trying again, but othertimes it simply wont start until the next day. Main dealer recomends buying a new key but ive tried with main key and spare and still get same message which suggests its the barrel in the dash that is faulty?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:46 AM
Default RE: slk230 start error

Hi Simon.
You don't provide age details so I guess it is no longer in warranty.
Get the dealer to read the codes on the BODY network. (Small charge unless you are well in with a dealer).
This MAY be showing a problem with the DAS.
The key communicates with the Drive Activation system receiver behind the dash. Either the key or the DAS receiver (behind dash) must be faulty.
Stuart

Old 08-02-2006, 06:04 AM

stuart

many thanks for your response, it makes a lot of sense, i have tried the spare key aswell with the same result so it would seem its the reciever in the dash that is faulty, the car is indeed out of warranty so hopefully it wont cost a fortune to repair.

thanks again.

simon

Old 08-17-2006, 02:11 AM

Hi....
I'm having the same problem with my 2001 SLK320 Sport. How do I get to the DAS unit?....Do you have any link that have pictures or instruction for removal of the DAS?? Please help.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:24 PM

Hi Stuart,
I'm having the same msg read out at the dash "starter error" as Simon's 230. The difference is that my car (01' 320 Sport package) just wouldn't start...at all, It has been 2 days since the problem appeared. When I turn the key (all 4 keys in my possesion) I can hear the starter jumps and make this click-click noise, but nothing after. Does that mean I need a new starter and not just the D.A.S or....is there something else ?? or both. Are ther ways to check and isolate which is which.....?? I'm not sure of what to do. Hoping you or someone will read my msg soon enough and help me out of this one.
Any suggestion or idea of what might be going with my car......???? Please adivise !!

Many thanks

Old 08-20-2006, 03:41 AM

This sounds like a different problem.

Since you get a click click when you attempt to start the DAS is likely working.

Several possibilities in order.

Firstly your battery is dead (or almost dead)
Secondly the starter relay is faulty. Find out where the click click is coming from.
The starter is jammed or dead.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the information, Stuart.
Sure enough, my battery was the problem. I'd purchased a new one at the local MB dealer for $114 USD installed it and bam !! start right up. .

By the way, how long does one of these OEM battery should last?....

Old 08-24-2006, 03:44 AM

Hi,
Great we got you sorted.
OEM battery life?
How about asking how long you are going to survive!
Best guess is 4 years BUT it all depends on usage (route, number of starts etc) / installation (temperature) / climate etc.
Stuart

Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM

stewart

again many thanks for the previous reply, it turned out to be the 'slip ring' on the back of the ignition barrel that was faulty????. It cost £8 for the part and £45 for the labour, that was two weeks ago and so far i have had no problems. the start error message does not show as a fault when tested due to being intermitent.

cheers

Old 04-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Default SLK start error

I have a 2002 slk 200 kompressor which had this error. It would not crank and when it would light on the dash would flash at random. After multiple checks i found four wires in the harness at the abs unit had fused together. After separating and isolating the cables from each other the problem was resolved.

Quick Reply: slk230 start error