Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

SLK (from 2001-2003)- what problems may it have ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 AM
Default SLK (from 2001-2003)- what problems may it have ?

Hi all! This is my first post on this forum. I definately want to buy SLK 1st generation from years 2001-2003. I am interested only in versions 200K or 230K (both with Kompressor).

I have got three questions:

What are the main faults and breakdowns and failures in this model (from 2001-2003 years) ? Especialy I am interested in mechanics (engine, drivetrain) and electronics.

What with roof after 7-8 years of use ? Is it still in good condition (all the mechanics, automatics) ?

For what should I mainly pay attention while buying SLK from second hand ?

Thanks in advance for reply!

PS. SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH !

Old 07-27-2009, 05:38 AM

I have a 1998 1st generation SLK230. The roof still works fine & I have had no engine/drivetrain or electronics problems at all.

The only work I've had done is the windscreen wiper linkage and brake discs & pads.

I don't know why, but SLK wheels are renowned for lacquer wear, and the alloy beneath quickly looks "milky" ( especially the rear) A refurbished set of wheels with new tyres is fairly cheap though, my set cost £600.

The radio aerial is in the rear bumper, so radio reception may not be the best without a decent radio, just check that you have a full service history and you should be ok.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:47 AM

Hi, I bought a SLK200K three months ago here in the UK. Beautiful looking car (black) and a great ride. Mine has done 80,000 miles and I have had problems. The main problem with mine and a lot of others (see the various MB sites) is the cam magnet leaking oil into the engine wiring loom from where it can affect all sorts, including the O2 sensors. MB sell a "starterline" to plug in between the cam magnet and the wiring loom, this is supposed to block the oil. I replaced the cam magnet & fitted the starterline and now clean all the plugs & sockets (12) off the loom with spray electrical cleaner. But my front O2 sensors has gone. Still the car runs ok and although the engine management is permanently on the only code showing is for the sensor (P0130). You must check the roof is working ok also look for rust, it appears to be a problem, I have a couple which is bad on a six year old car! But hey it's a great motor so what's a few problems!! Good luck.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by owenrich
Hi, I bought a SLK200K three months ago here in the UK. Beautiful looking car (black) and a great ride. Mine has done 80,000 miles and I have had problems. The main problem with mine and a lot of others (see the various MB sites) is the cam magnet leaking oil into the engine wiring loom from where it can affect all sorts, including the O2 sensors. MB sell a "starterline" to plug in between the cam magnet and the wiring loom, this is supposed to block the oil. I replaced the cam magnet & fitted the starterline and now clean all the plugs & sockets (12) off the loom with spray electrical cleaner. But my front O2 sensors has gone. Still the car runs ok and although the engine management is permanently on the only code showing is for the sensor (P0130). You must check the roof is working ok also look for rust, it appears to be a problem, I have a couple which is bad on a six year old car! But hey it's a great motor so what's a few problems!! Good luck.
Was that a 1st or 2nd generation SLK?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:57 AM

Hi Jeffcank, mine is a first generation SLK. A 2003 "facelift" model SLK200K. Great car, but with a couple of problems. I bought it at a knock down price so was prepared to spend a little! Like you I also had problems with the wipers going slow, turned out to be the linkage partly broken. I then had an headlamp out, thought it was just the bulb, then the indicators failed and I had to have a new fuse box fitted, the one inside by the drivers right side, very expensive, £540 incl of the wiper repair!! I had it serviced, oil & spark plug change, but had to fit new front brake pads (£80). Then the engine management light came on and I found out about the "oil in loom" business! So I fitted a new cam magnet, worth doing as the rubber "bung" is where it leaks, also the MB "starterline to stop any future leaks into the engine wiring loom. This was surprisingly reasonably priced at about £60, from MB! I now have to replace the front O.2 sensor, £70 Bosch on ebay, which has been contaminated with oil, I guess. It's then fingers crossed!! Hope yours is A-OK. Cheers Owen.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Hi

The reason I asked whether it is 1st or 2nd generation was because I thought that post 2001 models were 2nd generation and having to conform to the new EU regulations, had a much more sophisticated ECU. As far as I can see my model doesn't have half the sensors that your model has.

Mine is a SLK230 and I've had it for 2 years and 30,000 miles now, no major problems, a few hassles with cheap brake lamps burning out, but easily sorted with some decent bulbs. I can even get a decent 30-35 MPG if I drive steady ( as if)

I take it to a local general garge for a standard 10,000 mile service. I had to have the steering pump & supercharger belts changed at 80,000 miles, but they are a consumable and are to be expected.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffcank; 07-28-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by jeffcank
Hi

The reason I asked whether it is 1st or 2nd generation was because I thought that post 2001 models were 2nd generation and having to conform to the new EU regulations, had a much more sophisticated ECU. As far as I can see my model doesn't have half the sensors that your model has.

Mine is a SLK230 and I've had it for 2 years and 30,000 miles now, no major problems, a few hassles with cheap brake lamps burning out, but easily sorted with some decent bulbs. I can even get a decent 30-35 MPG if I drive steady ( as if)

I take it to a local general garge for a standard 10,000 mile service. I had to have the steering pump & supercharger belts changed at 80,000 miles, but they are a consumable and are to be expected.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, yeh sorry I guess It's second generation (facelift), I was thinking of the next (2004 on) model. Your motor appears to be a good one and it's nice to see it's getting used. Mine had done 65k in the first four years, which I liked, mostly motorway use and apart from stone chipping it's what the car needs. I think mine has stood for the past year which is when the troubles start. Has yours had the MB adaption "starterline" fitted? The M111 engine is notorious for the cam magnet leaking oil into the engine electrical harness. The "line" cost less than £20 vat incl and all it is is a short length of cable with a plug at one end and a socket at the other. It fits between the cam magnet socket and the existing cable plug and is designed to block any oil leaking into the harness. Your mpg is impressive, are you aware of a "rattle" when reving upto about 2000 and back down again? Apparently it is normal for the cam adjusters to make a noise when engaging & disengaging, but some are louder than others. Mine is an annoying rattle which I first thought was the cat with loose inner bits! Luckily it wasn't as when I disconnected the cam magnet (which operates the variable timing) plug the noise stopped. Where are you located and what colour is the car (pictures)? Cheers. Owen.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:42 AM

Mine is Jupiter Red, well used, a few body paint scratches but no rust. Although the car is the quietest I have driven, there are no rattles and no problems from the engine or elsewhere. I don't even know if mine has a cam magnet - I've never had cause to investigate. In between the 10,000 mile services there's no oil dropped or burnt and it's the most reliable car I've had. I bought the car at 50,000 miles for £10,000, I've had 2 1/2 trouble free years and with the look of it, I'll get another 5years out of it easy.

I'm located in brackley, half way between Northampton & Oxford.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:21 AM

Hi Jeff, good to hear from you. It is a nice car, my wife loves the red, if it's the darker one! You obviously bought well. Do check the cam magnet for leaks into the wiring harness. I wasn't aware of the problem until I got an O.2 sensor code warning. If you check the several MB forums you will see that it is a common problem over many years. It affects the M.111 engine fitted to many MB's and prevention is better than cure. The cam magnet is at the front of the engine under the grey plastic cover just behind the belts. It lifts off by pulling the front bottom out a bit and lifting the offside end up then easing the nearside end out of it's clip. There are lugs on the engine into which the plastic clips. The cam magnet is the round metal piece on the front, with a cable plugged into it . The oil leaks through the magnet rubber bung and into the wiring. There is usually no oil to be seen, as it's inside the wiring, but pull of the cam sensor plug on top of the engine midway along and if there is any trace of oil on the end of the plug, it's been leaking. Also pull the plug on the cam magnet and, if you can, the one to the O.2 sensor. This is a plastic socket & plug at the back of the engine in a clip on top of the gearbox/clutch housing, can be difficult to pull apart, lift the retaining tabs and pull apart. If you find any smear of oil on either of these plugs. get the MB blocker to stop anymore oil getting into the wiring and start to clean all the plugs & sockets you can find with electrical cleaning fluid. Spray it into the plugs & sockets and it cleans and self dries. I hope I haven't worried you, but it is worth checking. Your car might have one already fitted, but if not I would certainly get one. Cheers. Owen.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply: SLK (from 2001-2003)- what problems may it have ?