Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

PSE woes. 01 SLK 320.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Default PSE woes. 01 SLK 320.

I was charged $950 for a new PSE Pump around 6 weeks ago at a dealer. Since then, every 2-3 weeks, it stops working again ( Locks, alarm, etc). We've taken it back two times now, and they can't find what is shorting it out. They say it is the first 10 amp fuse under the hood that keeps blowing. I'm thinking that the old PSE never was blown, and now I've paid $950 for nothing. I had this car for over 2 years, never had this problem. What are the chances that my old PSE Pump was toast, AND there was a short circuit somewhere?
Is there anyplace common to look for a short ? Anyone else had this problem?

I do still have the Old PSE Pump.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Default RE: PSE woes. 01 SLK 320.

you need to make sure the pse is wrapped in a plastic bags. the slk is notorious for the pse getting wet and they stop working. you could have another bad pse.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:28 PM
NAZ

not oon slk yes if its a s class or the clk yes they used to blow the pse pump with the water ingress in the car ,on yours it sounds more like you ve got a wire chaffing on earth thats wats cosin the fuse to blow.............

Old 08-28-2007, 05:52 PM

The old one never got wet, it just stopped working. Will I screw anything up if I plug the old one back in to see if it works? I thought there was some programming involved when installing a new one. The new PSE works fine when the fuse isn't blown.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:01 AM

Your old unit will be configured correctly so no programming required in returning to old unit.
Straight forward "plug and play".
When people refer to water ingress this is usually off the roof panel when stowed wet/moisture beads but also occurs due to condensation in the boot.
Tell tale is light blue deposit (very small trace) at the bottom of the white multipin plug on the PSE.
The PSDE contains a number of circuits/functions.
Pneumatic pump. If doors actually work this is not likely the cause of the fuse blowing.
Security control unit. No real power requirement. However likely to give trouble with "strange" activity on the CAN (digital highway). i.e. Interior light not working correctly.
Bulb warning. Are lights functioning correctly?
Heated Rear Screen
+
As NAZ states most likely some form of short on a wiring run and not the PSE. Harness runs close to the main wiring harness on RHS in area adjacent to boot hinges behind boot trim panelling.

Are you sure your security system works correctly including Anti tow and Movement sensors. Lock car with window part open and try gaining access with the alarm armed. Likewise jack car with alarm armed etc.

Works OK. Fuse still OK? I suspect NOT.

Stuart.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:42 PM

All the lights, locks, and anti tow work fine when the fuse is OK. My point is, I'm sure I have a short somewhere, but they charged me for a new PSE Pump when there was probably nothing wrong with the old one. I would think if I plug the old one back in and it works,I should get a refund.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:21 PM

i would definetly check your wiring. it's a good place to start.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:50 AM

ORIGINAL: montero1

All the lights, locks, and anti tow work fine when the fuse is OK. My point is, I'm sure I have a short somewhere, but they charged me for a new PSE Pump when there was probably nothing wrong with the old one. I would think if I plug the old one back in and it works, I should get a refund.
And maybe they won't!

Good luck.

Stuart.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:13 AM

Actually SLKs are notorious for water damage to PSE.
MB issued a kit tu turn them over so water doesnt sit in connector and pcb causong corrosion.
I have posted an easy way to fix here
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...fit-check.html

BAzzle

Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 PM

The old one never got wet, I disassembled it myself................

Quick Reply: PSE woes. 01 SLK 320.