Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Paint chip repair on center console ?

Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Default Paint chip repair on center console ?

Hi all,

I need to fix my cream color console on my SLK-230 that over time has collected lots of scratches from safety belts, keys, cell phones, etc and the black plastic that is under the painted cream is showing (M-B quality Hummmm). I did some investigation work and need your two cents on how to go about it or what you did? My options are:

a) Remove the console right at the gear shift break point and remove the paint with E-Z off (oven cleaner) it does not attack plastic but loosens the paint (low cost).
b) Buy a new console and have the dealer install it
c) Get a black pre owned one and I install it
d) you'll 2C on your experience welcome

Thanks Enrico

Old 08-15-2006, 04:44 AM
Default RE: Paint chip repair on center console ?

My two pennyworth.

Why not repaint it cream?

For info: many manufacturers use painted interor parts to assist with volume planning. trying to manage the required quantity of self coloured parts is a big problem unless volums are high recognising that vehicles are not usually made to specific order.

Colour matching of plastics is also a problem which is more easily achieved thru the use of complementary colours or paint.

If it is only local marking you may even be able to spray it in situe with the roof down and appropriate masking.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:05 AM

Try this linky
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...slk-230-a.html

Bazzle

Old 08-15-2006, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the initial replies.

I think I am going to strip the paint off and paint the center console black. After some thought if I strip and cover coat the console with beige again chips will inevitably come back and I do not wish to hassle with touch up, it will look tacky (I have been doing it for the last few years). The main problem is the console's beige color its sprayed over black plastic substrate it shows like B&W, if it was a white subsurface then I can live with it adn easy to mask.
My next question, does anybody have the patience to give me instructions, tips or guide me on how to remove the center console, I am mechanically inclined but I don't like Murphy to play into my dismantling, my wife will be watching me like a hawk (it's her babe)!

Thank you in anticipation

E

Old 08-19-2006, 02:17 PM

Better yet, does anyone know or recommend a vendor or car salon in the NJ/NY area that can do the described above work?

GT56E4

Old 09-02-2006, 02:00 PM

Enrico

Welcome to the unfortunate world of MB powder coated consoles. I have the same model, same color, same problem. Here are some answers that I have come across and done. Tried to match a number of OEM paints from Plasti-kote, but with poor results (closest was the TOYOTA #5724. So I went to my friendly auto paint dealer and had him make me up a 1/2 pint of MB color. I found that if thinned about 75/25, paint to laquer thinner the results dried fast and matched well. I simply applied with a small piece of cloth that was lint free. The console has a rough texture to begin with so daubing on the paint lightly matched the existing texture. So you probably want the MB color, here it is...

MB color 215(maybe it will be listed as a DB215 by some paint houses). As for the name I have seen both SIAM BEIGE or SIENNA BEIGE used for the name.

So here are some easy pointers. The rough texture of the console masks nearly any mistake, well most of them. The number one issue is cleaning the console, thoroughly, before painting. Use HOT water and dishsoap to SCRUB THE AREA TO BE PAINTED. Use a rough cloth like a small hand towel. Let dry thoroughly. Use a red(320) scotch pad (from paint store) to scuff the area after it dries. I scuff with one hand and run the nozzle of the vacuum with the other to pick up dust. Afterwards wash again well with the detergent soap/water and rinse with clear hot water. Get it real dry and then daub on the paint. One thing that may be apparent is the color difference. Dried paint gets darker. If it doesn't age will darken it. The Toyota color I used got real close after a week or so. With the mixed paint route you can always go back to the paint man and have it darken it a smidge. But give it a while to darken on it's own. The secret is cleaning the console well before painting or you will end up with a sticky patch which you will have to clean off and start over, using either laquer thinner or paint thinner depending on the material you paint on (laquer or enamel)

Good Luck

jeff

Old 09-02-2006, 03:31 PM

) Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for your input, so this is my next step.... All I need from an experianced mate on this site is how to correctly removing the center console (the two pieces) because I got lots of chips and I plan to paint the whole thing by a professional painter. He did say that he wants me to take the console out since he has no experiance with my model.

Your help is greatly appreciated to close this loop. Then will have this information available for any one asking agian about this P.I.T.A problem.

Enrico