Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Default Transmission problem

I still am getting the 500 and 700 errors on my scanner after clearing them.The abs bas and esp lights are on together with the cil light. I have verified that the brake pads are ok.I noticed that when I hard accelerate It wont go higher than 4000 revs and wont change up till i ease off the accelerator.Also I noticed than the cruise control wont work, it beepsand the speed reads 000 on the lcd when trying to set the speed on the stick. The MAF has been replaced and working.I hope this info will ring a bell as to the probable fault.Thanks for any help.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Default RE: Transmission problem

Hi, You don't provide any vehicle details. However...

If ABS, ESP, CC are not working I wonder whether your SPEED signal is OK.
Important to understand if its just the warning lights that are on or the system ABS, ASR, ESP is not functioning.
You may already have corrected what ever fault was present BUT not reset the warning light(s).
Speed is measuredat all 4 wheels although CC and Speedo use only one signal.
Suggest you remove and clean sensors (they pick up brake/rotor dust) Also check wiring and connectors.
Of course a sensor could be bad but do a good inspection/clean first including checking resistance of each sensor (when disconnected) to ensure they are all the same.

Oh the 4000 rev issue. The engine is limitedto 4000 rev when stationary to protect the engine.
Your car appears to think it is stationary.

You don't mention whether yourspeedo and trip computer areworking correctly.

Stuart.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:25 AM

Thank you for the reply. The car is an slk 200 year 2000. The speedo and thetrip meter appear to be working ok. I will clean and check the sensors you mentioned and let you know how I got on. The other problem that has appeared is that sometimes I cant go ito either forward or reverse gear on the automatic box. I need to go into neutral a few times before it works. I am getting error 500 and 700 whichare speed and transmission errors.Thanks for all help.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:22 PM
NAZ

the fault you have sounds more like transmission speed sensor, its locketed on the eletronic pad of the trans,to get to it you ll have to drain gear box oil,remove samp pan on the gear box,remove gear box plug connector on the side,then remove the hydro electronic pad which has 8 to 10 bolts they are torx 30mm bolts.........

Old 08-24-2007, 01:08 AM

Now you mention trans selection issues NAZ has offered an alternative speed sensor issue.

You have not clarified whether ABS, ESP etc are working or just the lights are on.

You may have multiple similtaneous faults but this would be unusual. (what is the history of this car/fault? i.e. Did everything stop working atthe same time, over time or have you bought a car with the problems and "no history").

Since many things are wrong at the same time this IMHO increases the chances that root cause is a comms issue on the CAN rather than an individual sensor issue. water ingress / corrosion etc

Good luck.

Question for NAZ. I'm interested why the trans speed sensor you refer to would have any linkage to the ABS / ESP being unserviceable?

Thereis always something new to learn!

Stuart.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:56 PM

The faults I am having all happened at the same time. The abs/esp are not working and all was working well beforeit all went wrong water ingress is a possibility as the weather has been very wet here all summer. Any sugestions as to where to look are welcome

Ian

Old 08-24-2007, 06:17 PM
NAZ

yes trans speed sensor is linked TO BAS ESP AND ABS i thought you have MB WIS??????????????

Old 08-27-2007, 12:05 AM

@NAZ.

I do have a copy of WIS but don't always have acess to a PC. I use a MAC.

Anyway most of my replies are from experience working on cars rather than WIS.

So what is the purpose ofthis additional speed sensor located within the gearbox and how does it play a part in the ABS system. Thereis something hereI don't understand. Clarification would improve my understanding.

@iansy. I live in England. I know whay you mean about the wet weather!

Manual or auto trans on your car?

Stuart.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:54 AM
NAZ

all my replys are not from wis but are from my 16yrs expreince 8yrs with MB,THEN 4YRS WITH LEXUS,4YRS WITH SUBARU................

Old 08-27-2007, 11:09 AM

@ NAZ. 42 years auto industry (Design and Manufacturing) experience here.

Re my question....

So what is the purpose of this additional speed sensor located within the gearbox and how does it play a part in the ABS system. There is something here I don't understand. Clarification would improve my understanding.

In anticipation.

Stuart.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem