Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

No brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Default No brake lights

Hey guys, I have a 2001 SLK 230 and having problems withthe brake lights. I changed the bulds and check the fuse on the side of the dash but have no luck finding the problem. When I step on the brakes, the only brake light that comes on is the one located in the middle of the trunk. The ones on the right and left side does not come on. The fuse is good and have changed it out also. Is there some relay or switch between the switch by the brake pedal and the lights ? I figured the stwitch by the foot pedal is good since the third brake light came on. Thanks a bunch.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Default RE: No brake lights

Check the actual housing for the bulb. For some reason, I've been told they burn out and I've replaced mine 2 times already. They're about $5 each if you can find somewhere to sell them to you.

Good luck.

GT56E4

Old 12-05-2005, 07:41 PM

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sear...&action=search

Common problem IF its the housings.

recall in USA under way

Bazzle

Old 12-08-2005, 08:41 AM

Hi, Still got the problem?

Something doesn't sound right here regarding bulb holder problems.
Did both main stop lights go out together? Seems unlikely that both have bulb holder corrosion / overheat problem at the same time. Maybe you have very strange weather where ever you live!
DO YOU HAVE VOLTAGE AT THE POINT WHERE THE WIRES JOIN THE LAMP UNIT?
Each rear stop light is wired back to the lighting module (switch in the dash) independently but market / spec of car may influence this. Euro cars are very different to NAS. Colours for main stop lamps are sw/rt and sw/ge and sw/bl for the centre stop light.
sw=black rt=red ge=yellow bl=blue
Is your vehicle NAS? Does it have ATA (Security)? Does it have Motion Sensor? Ideally what is the Chasis Number?

Subject to whether you have already solved the problem + answers to above I will provide more detailed test procedures to resolve.

Stuart

Old 12-09-2005, 04:23 PM

Hey Snanceki, I'm not sure what the NAS is? My vehicle came with factory alarm but no motion sensor and where would I locate the vehicle chasis number at ? I haven't figure out what the problem is yet. In the past, only one of the 2 brake lights would go out but this time, both are out. I'm thinking a relay or something in the circuit went out (if there is one).

Old 12-10-2005, 04:30 AM

Hi,
I need more info if I'm going to help.
Where do you live?
NAS is North American Specification. Most people on this site live in North America but I live in the UK. UK and NAS cars are very different.
The Chassis No. should be in your Service Pack but you should also be able to read it through a small rectangle let into the black border at the bottom LH corner of the windscreen. WDB170......
You state the vehicle has ATA security. How do you know it doesn't have an interior Motion Sensor? The motion sensor is located in the screen header dome light. If you take off the lens you will see a group of black components clustered together. This is the motion sensor.

You state...In the past, only one of the 2 brake lights would go out but this time, both are out. Do you mean one side of the vehicle?

Is there power on the leads (colours as I stated) going into the lamp units in the boot of the car?
Stuart

Old 12-12-2005, 11:05 PM

Hey Snanceki, here's the info. Yes it is NAS, the chassis number is WDBKK49F01F220494, the factory alarm does not have motion sensor (confirmed it with the dealership). In the past, one the driverside brake light would go out and i'll bent the prongs and it will work again. Everytime that light goes out, will tell me on the dash (the one that shows the little lightbulb- meaning one of the outside markers are out from side marker to brake light and it will always be the brake light). But this time both of the brake lights are out and I checked the bulbs and metal prongs and they are ok. Is there any relay or resistors inbetween the lines ?

Old 12-15-2005, 03:24 AM

The brake lights are wired direct to the lighting module (switch) on the dash thru 3 separate wires. LH Stop (Pin 7A Black/Red), RH Stop (Pin 6A Black/Yellow) Centre Stop (Pin 5A Black/Blue). there are no relays etc on the way.
However, the light control module is controlled by a relay to suppress Stop Lights from functioning during ABS operation but this must be OK if the Centre stop light is functioning.
As I stated previously you need to check whether the LH & RH Stop wires are live (hot) with the brake pedal depressed (centre stop light illuminated) using a voltmeter at the connector to the rear light units.

Although I was suspicious about replies suggesting that the problem was the bulb holders I have changed my mind after looking at my own SLK installation.

My lights have worked perfectly through the worst of UK weather for 100k miles and 5 years. However the moment I touched the bulb holders my lights went dim, & then out, and it took quite a bit of jiggling to get them to illuminate correctly once again. There doesn't appear to be a problem with the connectors on the bulb holders making physical contact but no power gets thru. I suspect that this must be due to some form of surface corrosion on the conducting strips which look like tin / zinc plate. They look perfectly shiny / OK with no visible corrosion but I had to find the exact spot where the holder has been for many years to get the bulb to relight correctly!

I guess that this is why MB have had to go for a recall in the States. Need to check UK recall status but I suspect that this fault wouldn't warrant a recall over here.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:19 PM

Thanks, I guess I'll spend this weekend and check the wires

Old 12-16-2005, 03:29 AM

Let us know what you find. Where are you located? Stuart.

Quick Reply: No brake lights