Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Newbie to the SLK ~ Another Top going down issue, read everything but nothing is same

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Default Newbie to the SLK ~ Another Top going down issue, read everything but nothing is same

OK FOUND THE PROBLEM WAS A BAD MICRO WHERE THE TRUNK DIVIDER SITS !!!
So was locking the whole system from even starting... My TOP WORKS !!!... Weeeeeeee... Its summer in Las Vegas... LOL

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

Ok I am a newbie to the SLK, I just bought my 98' SLK 230 about a month ago, top was working without any problems, and I absolutely love the car.

One morning went to put the top down and nothing... let me re-faze that, When I double click the top button in the center council, the driver and passenger windows go down and that is it... The rear windows do NOTHING...

If I just click the top button once it does start to flashing red... But thats it...
The trunk does not even try to open, the rear windows do not move...

Not sure it if has to do with the rear windows not moving, or something else...

If I try the button the other way... I.E. to put the top up, I can hear it trying to go up, even though it is already up...

Is there anyone that can point me in a direction of things to check for, and like I said TOTAL NEWBIE to these cars.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by lexknight; 05-16-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: FIXED IT...
Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 AM

they follow a sequence. my guess is the two micro-switches/left and right lock limit switches under the trim above your visors. if that ends up being the problem, while you're in there replace the closed limit switch where the right pin goes into the hole above the visors. there's a couple of screws in your dome light and remove the visors and pull straight back on the trim. don't pull down on the trim. if any of the clips come off you can glue them back on.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:51 PM

Well done for fixing your roof problem, now you have me hoping my problem can be solved as quickly and inexpensively! ! have a 1998 SLK 230 which is mint and low mileage and to date has been a joy to own. The last time I put the top down it worked perfectly just like it's always done, but when trying to open it recently, almost nothing. The only response when operating roof switch is that it turns red as it should and the barest hint of sound and movement in the passenger window, thats it, and when pushing the roof switch forwards to the closing position there is not even that, yet when attempting to close the window on its dedicated switch there is that hint of sound and movement again. I have tried the obvious stuff, fuses etc and looked for oil leaks. I have read absolutely everything there is available on this forum regarding roof opening problems but have found nothing that matches this problem. Is there anyone that can offer some advice.

I have just tried opening roof again and have noticed that while repeated pressing of switch does gradually open passenger window a bit at a time the double clicking of roof switch opens and shuts both windows perfectly and at no time does the pump show any signs of life.

Thanks, Nick

Last edited by hairymountainman; 06-08-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: additional information