Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

electrical problems slk

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Default electrical problems slk

I just bought a 1998 slk and when I brought it home the following was wrong. rear defrost doesn't work, central locking mech doesn't open or close locks, just the lights flicker, and the interiour light goes on when it wants to, in the middle position it will stay on when driving. Any ideas on how I can fix these problems.. car came without warrenty? Thanks

Old 01-22-2004, 07:30 PM

from my mercedes experience, and experience with the same car...I would start by checking all the Electrical FUSE and RELAYS. Ones you have them all in 100% working condition, if you still have problems i would suggest you to go to your nearest mercedes experiences shop, (NOT A DEALER-they'll basically want to sell you a new car ejej)

Old 01-26-2004, 12:01 PM

I own the same car and also had trouble with those lights. Here is what I found out. None of the lights are hard wired, ie the switches don't send the juice to the dome light for example, it sends a digital signal to a computer in the trunk that sends the current. This way the computer knows to turnlights on when doors are unlocked, turn lights off after last door closed, etc.. I believe the computer costs about $600.00

Old 12-11-2004, 04:47 AM
Default RE: electrical problems slk

Hi Snglbrd,
I also have a similar problem and have been working to resolve it for some time. Do you still have the problem or is all now OK? If so what resolved the problem?
Have you been to MB and had them scan the vehicle for fault codes? MB Star Diagnostics gives a comprehensive print out. This will cost circa £25 and takes about 30mins. However once these codes are known you still have a problem since electronically clearing any code doesn't put the fault right. Different codes require different repairs. The fun starts when you have no codes and the problem remains!
Can you please define in more detail the problem with the interior light. i.e. With the dome light switch set to Doors (I) what happens? Any additional info regarding when you operate the "Plip" and Ignition would be useful. this info may help me resolve my problem which may then help you.
Regards,
Stuart