Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

crappy service at MB

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Default crappy service at MB

Is it just me or has anyone else felt they have gotten bad service at MB....I recently took my car in to have them adjust the driver side window because it was leaking water...its a little screw on the bottom of the door it came out to 250 cdn and they stripped the screw too...now I can under stand if I got my brother in-law to help but not the dealer and certainly not at 250 bucks....do I have a right to be mad......this doesn't even compare to how the MB body shop screwed up my car and gave me attitude on top of it ......the car had to be repainted by another paint shop...after they couldn't get it right the second time...with over spray on all my windows and a half *** job at dong it again...[:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Default RE: crappy service at MB

Let me complain about North Haven MB right now, I bought a 99 slk in Mass. Went to my local MB dealer for a cd changer, $800 no thanks. Bought one on line for $240, ok. Now I go back to the dealer for install and programming. They quote 2 hours $211, but wait I don't have a bracket that will be another $159, no thanks, just program it, still $211, whatever... Now the guys takes 3 hours so they want to charge me for the extra hour, not. Get in carand, the tech droppped my radio on my console, big mark, the dealer says gee that was there, not. I finally get them to fix it and now there is paint on my leather seats, the same color as the console, are you kidding me? MB dealer? My advice don't go there.
Wayne

Old 03-27-2007, 09:28 PM

RE: crappy service at MB = Whats new?

Old 03-28-2007, 04:48 PM

Where do they get these people are they doing a prison exchange program it took them 2 times to paint my car when it got broken they took a month to fix it the first time 3 weeks the second and they still got it wrong...and the best part is they didn't even appoligize "hey we screwed up"they blamed me for it ......

Old 04-01-2007, 02:50 PM

Here you go. Shout it from the roof tops!!!!

http://www.dealerrater.com/

Old 04-02-2007, 03:26 AM

All dealers try to do well in general but you have individual workers are every dealer that are either highly incompentent or thieves. I've been going to the same dealer for over 20 years and most of the time, they do what I expect but sometimes you geta greedy mechanic (they get paid on number of billable hours, so if they bill for 4 hours to do a 1 hour job, they get paid as though they worked 4) and they try and rape you. For example, my kid's SLK was leaking oil from the drain plug, they found $3,455 worth of bogus things my car needed, non of which even addressed the leaking drain plug like shocks. Brought in into a different SA a week laterand they found I needed a new oil pan, $850, a lot to pay for leaking washer but cheaper than $3,455. Then I took it to a small independant that fixed the leak for the cost of an oil change. I figure the dealer turns a bling eye to it because I complained to their service director and he didn't evenrespond. My way of getting even, I let them wash my cars for free and I take my car elsewhere for service that's not free (warranty and such).

Old 04-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

I got the same service, not specifically from a MB dealer, but a guy who works on a number of foreign cars. My car had been getting hot for a few days, so I take it into his shop. He wants to quote me $400 for a new radiator and $400 of labor.
The radiator wasn't even the problem, he just assumed and would have tried every part until it was fixed offering him several hours of pay. I boughta radiator the same dayfor $110 on line and installed it in 1.5 hours...and that's from a person who's never done any car work besides a single oil change. $400 for probably less than 1.5 hours is completely unacceptable.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:27 PM

SLKs are fine cars, but stay away from the dealer. My top would hang up and not unlatch properly, on warranty. There solution, 90 weight grease. After 5 service trips, car was off warranty. The service mgr said, needs new cables for $1,800. Car only had 26K miles. Took it to an independent to change the oil and fix my top. He and his hill billy helper put the top down half way, one guy pushed one way, the other guy pulled bending the hinges into perfect alignment with the windshield locking mechanism that MB kept greasing. They said to me, there, now your fixed, no charge. That was 11 Yrs ago. Not one problem since.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:43 AM

my experience goes from way high priced to awful. between three dealers only once did they actually diagnose the problem the first time in and I told them what it was that needed done. this is my best experience I have had with a dealer, I had a belt tensioner go bad on the road with my slk, I should have known better. to do over again I should have asked the towing company to make a recommendation as to whom is good in the area. it cost me about $500 for a job I could have done it a half hour and could have done for under $100 in parts. had the dealer had the parts I would have fixed it myself, even renting a car and buying the tools I needed, I would of come out way ahead. Normally I carry a tool box on trips. I didn't have the torx sockets I needed for the job in the box anyway, might have cost $20 for the tools from a local carquest or napa. I will in the future I will have them with me.. I would have thought that would be a part a dealer would have in stock and had to wait a week to get the part. To be honest it's not just the dealers that have issues, but independents can be just as guilty and not all dealers are bad either. So when you find a servicer you can trust, they really are worth their weight in your gold. they are out there. Learn to do as much as you possibly can on your car. it would have broke me. I would have to get rid of the car or learn to do as much as I possibly could. I chose the car.

Last edited by brookings; 01-22-2016 at 01:37 AM.