Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

Code readings & cam adj noise.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Default Code readings & cam adj noise.

Hi Guys, I have been very impressed with the answers your getting on this site. I am in the UK (Wales) and have just bought a 2003 SLK200K in black! I also bought a code reader as a lot of the troubles you have I have!! Code reading PO 131 is the front O2 sensor, but what is actually wrong and can it be cleaned? I had a rattling noise at low revs (1500-2000) and learnt that it was the cam adjuster "kicking" in & out. But it was noisy so I pulled the plug on the cam magnet, now no noise, but what do you think about that? The code for this is showing PO 010. Look forward to any advice. Cheers.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:02 PM

The O2 sensor's can not be cleaned, once they go its time to replace them. Not sure if any harm will come from having the cam adj. mag. unplugged. Its there for a reason i would just replace it, the are cheap and simple to replace.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by livefreeordie
The O2 sensor's can not be cleaned, once they go its time to replace them. Not sure if any harm will come from having the cam adj. mag. unplugged. Its there for a reason i would just replace it, the are cheap and simple to replace.
Hi and thanks for your reply. I did replace the cam magnet plus a MB "starterline" to the engine wiring harness as the cam magnet was leaking oil into the wiring, which probably shafted the O.2 sensor. The "rattle" noise, I'm told, is normal and is the cam being moved back & forth by the magnet to allow for variable timing at slow revs/speed. The car appears to performs the same with or without the magnet plugged in, I just wonder if any harm is being done! Any thoughts would really be welcome.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:11 PM

there's most likely no damage being done if the "magnet" is unplugged. it operates so that the cam adjuster on the camshaft can adjust exhaust timing for better efficiency during certain rpms.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by tech_45
there's most likely no damage being done if the "magnet" is unplugged. it operates so that the cam adjuster on the camshaft can adjust exhaust timing for better efficiency during certain rpms.

Hi and thanks for your reply. It is as I expected, having read loads, but it is nice to have someone else confirm it! Car runs well so I'm leaving it. I've looked into replacing the cam adjuster, but apparently its about £500 plus labour!! So theres really no contest. Cheers. Owen.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Default Same rattling problem :(

Hi,

I know this is an old post now, however, I have recently purchased a 2003 SLK200K for my wife and she is experiencing the same rattling noise at low revs (1500-2000). It has also been confirmed by Mercedes to be the cam adjuster/magnet and that the noise is normal (can't believe they said such an annoying noise is normal!).

I see you mentioned that disconnecting the magnet resulted in the noise stopping - has anyone managed to find out whether disconnecting the magnet can cause any other damage? I would love to find a solution to stop the noise, even if it means the performance/fuel efficiency is reduced slightly.

Any help is much appreciated!

John

Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 PM

There is a recall here in the USA for this part, not sure about other parts of the world.