Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

2003 SLK 320 Won't Start,... Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Default 2003 SLK 320 Won't Start,... Sometimes

Well I have been researching this issue for a long time now and didn't find this forum until today. Everyone here seems friendly and to know what they are talking about so here goes my issue maybe someone can help.

6 Weeks ago I went to drive to work like normal but my my key wouldn't turn to unlock the steering wheel or start the car. After 10 minutes of loud obscenities at my car and 15 minutes of my jiggling the key and steering wheel finally the car started. 2 days later i was on my way back to work from lunch and the car took 2 times to start, both time cranking over but never getting the "final catch". I didn't think anything of it, because it fired right up the 3rd time, and no dummy lights came on. The next day on my way to go home from work the car would not start. It was cranking but would not catch. (TO better describe the problem, block air intake and try to start your car, you should get a lock of cranking but it wont start. This is the exactly symptom I have). I called for a ride and by the time my ride got there the car started (20 mins or so). 3 days later the car now has this starting problem everyday when ever i go to leave for lunch. 11am, 12pm, 1pm doesn't matter. will not start. Everyday for 3 weeks I try at various time, from 11am-3:30pm the car will not start. It's been a mix from 75-110 degrees out, rainy and dry. Now as of Yesterday monring the key will not turn to unlock the steering wheel or start the car.

I tried calling the local dealer during the not catching issue and i got "Haha, your car wants you to go on a diet?" "We have never seen a moody car, is it pregnant?", one person suggested changing the batteries inside the key. It did nothing... everyone I talk to isn't sure what it could be so I am lost and confused. The dealer laughs at me, so I am begging for help. First question:

I have tried both keys. I have full power to everything on the car and the headlights are perfect. Voltage meter reads 13.8 consistently. I have tried a lot of the basic stuff

Are these 2 unrelated issues and I am terribly unlucky?

Does this sound like an ignition switch issue?

Any and all help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Default RE: 2003 SLK 320 Won't Start,... Sometimes

Could be so many things, but lets start with the obvious (it's never the obvious but you have to start somewhere). If the key is not turning or not unlocking the steering wheel, you probably have a problem with the ignition switch. If it's cranking good and not starting, it could be the CPS (very common problem on MB's in general). If it's not the ignition switch or CPS, you could put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and see if there's pressure with the ignition on as it could be a bad fuel pump relay.

Best of luck.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:10 AM

Sounds like you have (2) separate issues. The ignition switch issue should be fixed now since if it locks and can't be turned you will be paying big $$$ to have the column cut open.

The second issue is probably K40 or crankshaft position sensor.

Avery

Old 09-19-2008, 11:10 PM

I just replaced and ignition tumbler in the same car the other day at work. the tumblers go bad causing the key not to turn. make sure you get it fixed asap before they have to use a drill and saw to fix your car.. Drills = More $$$