Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

1997 SLK ECU - Will a second hand ECU work on my car?

Old 10-20-2008, 12:04 PM
MJH
Default 1997 SLK ECU - Will a second hand ECU work on my car?

Hi I wonder if anyone can shed some light on weather a Mercedes slk ecu can be re-programmed?

I have a beautiful 1997 slk that I have had for years. Recently the main ecu has stopped working due to corrosion and is possibly beyond repair.

I have been getting quotes for a replacement ECU and was going to proceed and buy one. My car is at garage where they have all the coding equipment to re-programme the new ecu to my car. However today I have been told by an ecu supplier outright that if I bought a replacement ecu it categorically cannot be re-coded to work on my car it can only work on the car that it was put in from new and that I would just be wasting my money doing so. Is this true or was this person just trying to get my business so they can try and repair my ecu?

I seem to get contrasting views from different people so if anyone could clarify on weather if I bought a second hand ecu can it be re-programmed to be used on my car?

One firm has told me that if I bought an ecu from them it would be plug and play and that it wouldn’t need coding etc at all….. is this true?

It is the main control ecu in the slk that im having problems with.
The Mercedes part number is: A 022 545 26 32 The bosch number which is also on the ecu is: 0 261 204 527

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could shed any light on this area before I spend ÂŁ400+ on an ecu that might be no use to me

Many thanks