Mercedes SLK Class All Mercedes SLK Roadsters.

170 headliner

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 02:21 AM
Default 170 headliner

coming back from church the other day I had my headliner come down and touch my head. about a third of the liner was hanging down on the drivers side. to remove, there are 9 phillips screws that need to be removed or loosened. three right up front and three on each side. open top enough to access front and rear screws, leave key on to hold top in place and when it starts to beep after a few minutes, hit the switch again to continue to hold it in place. I removed the three front ones and two of the easy to get at screws on each side toward the front leaving the ones (one on each side) in the back about half way out. those back screws would be hard to get back in and subject to dropping if not careful, plus they're not necessary to remove. pull the liner toward the front of the car to pull the liner out of the rear roof trim. what it looks like, in time the foam backing on vinyl portion of the liner deteriorates and begins to crumble. save yourself some headaches and don't try to reglue it down. the vinyl is so thin and without the foam backing you can't work with it. it's almost like saran wrap. I wanted something different and ordered in a charcoal colored felt type liner and has a foam backing. the liner board I originally thought was plastic, but as I was pulling off all the old vinyl on the edges I tore the board, it looks like a pressed paper. so be careful, I was able to repair mine. I cleaned the board good and used a spray glue provided by the company that supplied the liner, it didn't seem to smell as bad as normal contact cement. I later used extra contact cement on the edges for good measure. follow directions, use the glue on the board liberally not so much on the material, you don't want the glue to soak through the material. use a small amount of glue a couple of times. this all cost about $45 not counting your labor, that took me about 4 hours. the problem I ran into is that this felt liner is thicker than the original. I couldn't get it back into the rear top trim as well I liked. It's satisfactory but not perfect, I like it better than the original vinyl. a thinner vinyl liner might work better or you can spend $300 on a complete new liner, I believe it's a 170 790 07 45 and make it easier on yourself.

Last edited by brookings; 03-21-2015 at 03:24 PM.