Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Would you buy a US SL550 in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Default Would you buy a US SL550 in Canada

I fell in love with a 2007 blue grey SL550 for sale at a dealer near my place, near Montreal Canada.

I almost signed, but I asked the salesman to keep it for me until tomorrow. I told him I wanted to check something. Back home I went back to the dealer's website, to check all the pictures and details on the beauty.

I just then realised, it is an american car with mile instead of kilometre used here in Canada.

I principally ask Canadians, would that factor lower the value of the car and the future resale value?

Hoping to get a reply. Thank you in advance

Paul

Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 PM

While I have never purchased a US car, there may be licensing issues if the speedo, odometer, Daytime Running Lights and, in some cases, bumpers, etc are not changed to Canadian standards. A MB dealership may also be able to give you some guidance and pricing for the required changes (if any). I would think an 07 would have to be modified.
As well, you may have some difficulty driving the car vis a vis speeding etc without the required km/hr indicators.
Just my 2 cents. I would walk unless its changed at their cost and they have the paperwork.
Check out this pdf and search for 'Mercedes'.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/...fety/vafus.pdf

Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Thank you for your comments. I presently drive a 2010 canadian c300 for every day driving and I love it. I am looking for a second car to have fun in the summer, driving maybe 10 or at the most 15k kilometers per year. I tought this one was a beauty at reasonable price 40K. I have talked to some friends in the car business. They told me if I want to keep it forever, it's ok, but if it is a toy I want to discard in a few years, it will cost me a lot. One of them told me, why don't you buy a boat to have fun in the summer.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:29 PM

If it was imported legally, you can check with at this site.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...-index-445.htm

If proves out and you like it, buy it.
dkoug