Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

used SL500 typical repairs, this is what I have seen

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Default used SL500 typical repairs, this is what I have seen

possibly in the market for a used sl500 1990 - 1998, often times I see on local craigslist cars being advertised with new; transmissions, engine harness, shock / strut mounts, and motor mounts. question, is it common for the trans to go out with less than 150k, same for the engine harness and motor and shock mounts?

thanks.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 AM

I'd say the issue of the wiring harness was pretty much a non-issue from 96 on. The transmission is excellent and should last for 300k+ if maintained properly. the mounts and the strut bump stops are just part of the maintenance.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by brookings
I'd say the issue of the wiring harness was pretty much a non-issue from 96 on. The transmission is excellent and should last for 300k+ if maintained properly. the mounts and the strut bump stops are just part of the maintenance.
so what was the issue with the harness? and if a pre 96 car is considered, what can be done to determine the status of the harness? thanks.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by norton
so what was the issue with the harness? and if a pre 96 car is considered, what can be done to determine the status of the harness? thanks.
The '94 MY was the primary one to worry about. In that year, MB used an environmentally friendly insulation in at least the main engine wiring harness. Over time, heat(mainly) caused the insulation to begin to degrade with bare wires exposed causing shorts and the risk of engine failure.

-If the car you want is a '94, selling through the MB Dealer, they can pull up the Service History for the car for service that was done at an MB Dealer via the VMI system.

- Whether offered by a Dealer or Private Seller, any year SL you are considering must be inspected either by a Dealer or better yet, the best local MB trained Independent servicer. This pre-purchase inspection that runs about $125+/- and is without question the best investment you can make prior to laying out thou$and$. Remember the used Mercedes Creedo, 'The most expensive Mercedes is the one you got a 'great deal' on and didn't have inspected; and speaking of 'Deal', there is no such thing as a 'cheap' Mercedes.

If I were in your situation, I would find the absolute best local Independent first who you will be depending on after purchase. Establish a relationship with the Tech perhaps by discussing what he includes in a Pre-Purchase Inspection, for expample, does the inspection include an alighment check? (FYI, my guy here does) Always ask if the Tech knows of any SL's for sale that he knows are great cars. He is the most likely person on the planet who wants a long term customer relationship with you and is motivated to tell the truth about a car.

Good Hunting