Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Troubleshooting Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Default Troubleshooting Check Engine Light

Edit: We took it for a service check and the dealer said it was the wiring harness causing the check engine light to come on. They want a lot of money to fix it, we are looking around for another mechanic that can order from an OEM supplier that charges less than the Mercedes dealer.

They did resynch everything so now the top works like a charm. We did learn how to raise it manually tho, that will be nice to know in case it messes up again.

Last edited by Kpassa; 06-23-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kpassa
Edit: We took it for a service check and the dealer said it was the wiring harness causing the check engine light to come on. They want a lot of money to fix it, we are looking around for another mechanic that can order from an OEM supplier that charges less than the Mercedes dealer.

They did resynch everything so now the top works like a charm. We did learn how to raise it manually tho, that will be nice to know in case it messes up again.
Is your car made between 1994 and 1996, if so thats an indecation your wiring harness insulation is degrading in general and breaking up. Its a well known design fault thats why they stopped and changed the wiring insualtion in 1997. Best tip maybe to get rid of it, a new wiring harness is more than the car is worth probably......

Old 07-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Smile check engine light

My Mercedes is 2004 C230 Kompressor. It's been maintained along the time I have owned it, but this year is the first time my check engine light has come on. I searched threads and found one suggestion which may save people a lot of money.... go to an auto parts store - AutoZone was good for me.. tell the counter guy your check engine light went on and you need a part but not sure which one... ask him if he has an OBD2 scanner.. if they're good - they will have one and check (scan) your car for free.. it will give you the Code no. for the problem... I saved over $100 where the atuo repair shop nearby wanted to put the car on the 'diagnostics' machine... the auto zone employee told me the problem. As it turns out it could have been something as simple as the gas cap not on tight, spark plugs, plug wire, thermostat or more involved.. valves or something with the head... my fuel was lean.. and (bad me), I have been saving money by buying 87 unleaded gas versus the 93 high test- recommended by the manual. He suggested I run out the gas and go back to 93. He erased the check light off my panel (thru his machine) and said come back if it comes back on again and they'll reassess! Thank you AutoZone.. I will be back.