Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

SL300 battery drain.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:34 AM
Default SL300 battery drain.

Trying to track down a battery drain issue. Let car sit overnight and battery is dead in the morning. PO had fuse "C" pulled and radio sounded like junk since that fuse powers the factory amp. Put it back in and radio had some typical Becker issues which i worked thru and now with fuse "c" in place there is a clicking noise under the drivers seat but the radio sounds great, happens about every 5 seconds. Pulled seat stuck my face in there and felt motors, module,and relay no vibration from any of them when the click occurs. Seem to be coming from underneath where the harness goes under the carpet. Are there any components under there? Car has numerous bulbs burnt out, weather has kept me from doing much. 4 inches of fresh snow here this morning. I just bought the car 10 days ago. Engine runs fine. Its a great ride just need to resolve this issue. I am happy to be a new member of this board and have enough car restoration experience to be able to contribute in the future.
Any and all help will be appreciated. Peace.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 AM

it doesn't take too many times of being drained to ruin the battery. there's only seat related solenoids in a module that might click under the seat and there's a couple of control modules in the behind the seat storage compartment, no solenoids. one is related to seats and top, the other, roll-bar. there's some modules in under the carpet on the passenger side. try removing the trunk bulb, might try disconnecting antenna. the car always has a little power drainage. I'm not aware of anything else in that general area. if you pull the ground on the battery and you touch the ground wire to the terminal, there should be just a very small spark, if there's a pretty good spark, try pulling one fuse at a time until there's just a very small spark. it's a simple way to find a power drain.

Last edited by brookings; 02-23-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Default will do

Thanks. its been snowing continuously here all week so when the weather breaks i will be back at it. i'll keep you posted.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Default more questions...

Anyone know what stays on for a while after you shut an r129 off. I know it takes a while to go completley asleep and never is totally dormant, but knowing what turns off when will help me find my battery drain quicker....this is a pain to debug in cold and falling snow....any help is appreciated.

Pete