Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

This should be fun... no.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Default This should be fun... no.

Hi Folks,
I just bought a repo'd 1992 Japanese 500SL with 45,000 miles on it. I now have a beautiful car, but I also have a problem. I can't open the center console or the rear storage boxes. I have been reading a few posts that describe similar problems but not this one in paticular... I was only supplied with a flat key (basically just a blade) with no butt-end to the back of it... a result of reposession I guess, so I'm wondering if this could be the reason that the console and boxes won't open... Is there a way to unlock these interior latches without going to a Mercedes Benz dealer? Or is this simply an issue that will be resolved when purchasing a new key... a trip I was hoping to avoid, thinking a Mercedes key will probably cost a fortune. Does anyone know which line (at the pump) is the vacuum hose for the storage compartment locks?

Last edited by 500SLZ; 12-28-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: additional text
Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 AM

Thanks ForcedInduction, your post lead me to trying the trunk lock... no luck, the key won't lock the trunk. I guess I'm off to the dealer today.
Cheers

Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 AM

Just tried trunk lock again and I wasn't turning the key hard enough... well it works, the trunk locks and unlocks but no luck with interior locks. (Although actuates pump which runs-on too long.) Just wanted to say that I love the car ...but what was Mercedes thinking with this concept... condensation forms with the movement of air, ice expands, plastic straws pushed into rubber connectors?... 'pop'. How many connections, how are the lines routed through this car? The pump is working fine (brand new dealer installed Bosch pump by last owner) This is driving me around the benz! Is there a main connector/manifold location to the interior lines somewhere? HELP! I have bought a car with with a blown subwoofer that I can't get to... which means I can't listen to music... and I HAVE TO LISTEN TO MUSIC!
Sincerely,
Desperate 500SLZ

Old 12-27-2011, 04:26 PM

I have a 96 and am not certain the center compartment and the one on the dash work the same. Anyway, there is a small button to the right of the dash compartment put your key in it and turn as far counterclockwise as it will go (left) and then back straight up and down. Remove the key and see if the compartment will open by pushing the button. With the compartment between the seats, push the button on the dash at the bottom and it should unlike the center compartment and the doors. My understanding is that the armrest compartments also unlocked with this button or the key remote (that U don't have). Hoped this helped some (Again, mine is a newer US model). My center compartment is a little stuborn as well, Lean into the button with your left hand and lift the top (the hinges are on the opposite side and it opens toward you (Left hand drive).

Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 AM

Thanks Bayard, Since I posted my thread, I installed a new pump and checked for leaks and it's become evident that I am experiencing a unique glitch somewhere. I can't find the gremlin that is keeping the interior door pockets, rear storage compartments and center console from unlocking. I have tried everything. I must have something wrong with the dash lock. I guess I'll be looking for answers regarding the dashboard lock system next. Maybe it is not triggering the pump or the locks in the interior.
Thanks