Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Noise from rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Cool Noise from rear suspension

Hi,
One month ago my display indicated "abc visit workshop" . the garage found a leak in the system, renewed a central valve and a rear shockabsorber. First, they changed the valve, theafter they changed the shockabsorber that proved to be malfunctioning althoug both rear shockabsorbers had been changed a few months ago.

Getting the car back ( after several weeks in the garage to find out of solving the problem)it seems much more rigid, the suspension seems harder.
At the same time i have a new noise from the rear part of the car every time i pass inegalities in the roadsurface that are more than just a few milimeters. It seems as if the carbody is hit by the suspension, or as if something under the car is detached.
I had a technician to drive with me, who found nothing wrong at all. The shock absorbers were controlled electronically, and he found nothing wrong in the testing.
Have any of you an idea of what could have happened? There a no display indications of anything wrong, but my car is too stiff, noisy and i am perplexed

Old 11-23-2011, 04:24 AM

could well be installed improperly and or wrong shocks. are they oem for your specific car? the nut at the top of the shock may not be tighten down enough if you're getting a knocking or clunking noise going over bumps. washer should be tight against the shock sleeve/spacer.

Last edited by brookings; 12-16-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Cool ABC problem: SL 500( 2002), CL 600 (2000)

Hi and Thanks for your reply.
First of all: I love my M-B cars. They are beautiful and it is fun to own them and to drive them.That is: WHEN I can drive them........

YEP!
It is an authorized M-B garage in Switzerland. Did they put the right spare parts?
I really hope so!
Did they also place and secure the parts properly?? That is what I am really asking myself.
I guess I will have to have another garage test the car. And after this, I will certainly opt for another garage in the future

The really interesting thing about it??
Getting my SL 500 back after four weeks, I additionnally have experienced the following:

They have had my CL 600 (2000) since the start of october! for a "car body too low" problem. Again a pressure problem in the ABC system. They haven't been able to solve it yet, and have promised me the car by end of november. I hope that they can fix it in 7 weeks, but as I have been told: you have a very particular problem with the ABC with your two cars....................... Yeah, right
I have asked for a talk with the director about what kind of quality I expect from an authorized MB garage. Certainly not what I have been experiencing for the last two months

Dear friends: am I the only person to suffer like this with my 2/2 malfunctionning ABC systems in my two top class used cars??
And what about your experiences concerning delay fior fixing such ABC problems??
/Frank

Old 11-28-2011, 01:56 PM

keep in mind, that just because it says mb on their shingle, it don't make them necessarily good or honest. yes, the sl is worth the headaches

Old 11-28-2011, 06:50 PM

usually stiff ride means the system needs to be bled of air, they need to perform a RODEO of your car which will help to bleed the air from the ABC system. you could need a new ABC pump also.