Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

no power

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Angry no power

I'm new to this forum...I have a '77 450 SL sat all winter in heated garage. Got out last month, started right up, but gas pedal linkage was frozen. Freed up with WD 40, but return spring too weak to return..added a helper spring, but RPM's won't go above 2900....on hiway, shifts thru all gears well, but tops out at about 45mph and slows below that on little hills. Engine firing on all 8, no miss, just no power.

Has anyone insight to this problem?

Thanks

Dave

Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 AM

all linkages related to the accelerator are performing as they should? not hanging up someplace? check vacuum advance hose on the distributor. see if there is vacuum at the distributor. see if distributor is stuck by moving it by hand. then back to basics. check or replace distributor cap, rotor, wiring, plugs, vacuum hoses. running engine in the dark to check wiring can answer some questions.

Last edited by brookings; 11-17-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:58 AM

thanks Brookings, I haven't done anything more than open the hood to dust in the past 7 years that I've owned this, I guess it is time to pay the piper. I've dedicated this coming week-end to the task if I can get the parts for a complete tune up....I looked at it again this am, and the linkage still doesn't feel 100% so I'll take it apart and clean this time. I'll let you know.

Dave

Old 07-28-2014, 11:53 AM

might drain tank if gas is seven years old and maybe check timing to see if the timing chain jumped a tooth.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Default no power

Thanks Brookings for your help. didn't mean to give the impression that I haven't driven in 7 years, I drive it every summer in the Adirondacks, I just haven't done any maint. on it because it has run so well....Before I did the tune up, I checked the accel linkage. Apparently when I tried to force the pedal down when it was frozen up, the clevis closest to the firewall turned on the shaft and limited the linkage travel....Simple adjustment and I got the correct travel back....The return spring though still won't pull it back, even after dismantling and cleaning the entire run....I kept the helper spring because I just can't the original unhooked at the lowest point. But maybe this will work for the next 7 years... Dave

Old 08-05-2014, 02:04 AM

try using an oil on the linkages you can get off ebay called "zoom oil". I like the turbine oil, but the sewing machine oil is ok. it's good multi-purpose oil.

Last edited by brookings; 08-05-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Default no power

Thanks...that's exactly what I did....Good Stuff! I also use it to keep rust off of my lesser used machine tools and tooling. Dave