Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Help!! Can't remove the hardtop on my 2002 SL500 & rollbar won't work

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Default Help!! Can't remove the hardtop on my 2002 SL500 & rollbar won't work

I recently purchased a 2002 SL500 and cannot remove the hardtop or activate the rollbar. I followed the removal procedure in the owners manual but when I pull back on the red button it only flashes. I also noticed that the rollbar switch will not raise the rollbar. I checked all of the fuses and they are fine. Is there a computer module that controls these functions that is prone to failure? Has anyone had this problem before and if so what is the solution?
Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:23 AM

There is a top module under the floor of the storage compartment behind the passenger seat. For manual operation there should be a wrench somewhere, probably in the tool pouch under the spare tire. There are manual releases on all corners. the front releases are behind a small plug behind the sun visors. The rear releases are behind a rectangular cover near the trunk hinges. The wrench is about 8 inches long and is about 1/8 inch thick. It has a 10mm slot on one end and a 5?mm hex on the other. The hex end goes in the hole at the visors and rotates to release the latches. The 10mm slot engages a release (painted red) inside the access hole by the trunk hinges. The soft top can also be operated manually in an emergency, the releases for the soft top cover are in between the roll bar and the body about midway back from the pivot to the bend, it is about a half inch round and silver. Place the slot of the wrench over the button and pull back, one on each side. The cover and soft top can be operated manually, just pull somewhat gently and don't try to force it. It will move somewhat reluctantly. I am still in the process of attempting to diagnose mine and am about 90% sure that it is the module. I am waiting for a manual that I hope has some detailed information on it. You need to be quite mechanically literate to work on it as it is a very complicated system. You can go on line and do a search on "mercedes top module" there are people that repair them. Possibly if you contact one of them you can send your module in for bench testing. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:38 AM

also try to just unplug the module and then plug back in. that will sometimes work too..but usually only temporarily.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Default Hardtop Manually

hello mate,,,if u havee it,,,,there is a special wrench to remove the hard top manually...and there are 4 points 2 at the car trunk,,2 behind sun shades,,it happend to me as well.....

Old 06-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Default hardtop on my 2002 SL500 & rollbar won't work

Thank you to those who responded to my request. I took my 2002 SL500 into a local indi MB mechanic and in 10 short minutes he had solved the problem. It seemed that there were a bunch of error codes generated that he had to clear. Now the top removal sequence and roll bar work fine. He showed me how to release the hardtop manually in case this happens again. I have only had the car 1 week and am really enjoying it.
Mike

Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 AM
Default Soft top module rebuilder

BBA Remaufacturing, Taunton, MA rebuilds most electronic control modules for most cars. They rebuild the SL top module for $375.00 plus shipping and optional insurance. Mine was $390.00 total. Beats $2000.00+ at the stealer.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Default Problem with SL320 soft top

Mine wouldn't close, button's light stayed on, clicking sound but no activity, worried the control module had gone which i'd read, was pricey. Found a good guy in dorking who knows his stuff and fixed it for a few quid with a spanner and a bit of knowhow. He said the module only tended to go when the car was jump started. Adam at Cayman Autos Cayman Auto Vehicle Service and Repairs, Dorking, Surrey. No nonsense and very much not a MB dealer.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Default R129 SL280 1997 66klm

I have erratic [both window] roll bar and hood problems. Minute window movement [when door handles are pulled] ceases as does full window up / down from interior switches. Initially the hard top was on and I was able to remove [IE release jacks operated normally]. Still no activity from the windows, whether doors closed or not: Soft top raises to half way then stops. Roll bar intermittently works, top control switch variously flashes, / remains on.I have disconnected battery several times in an endevour to re boot the computer, no luck!
Error codes have been erased by local MB mechanic but this does not help, a window motor fault showed up but then cleared. Problems come and go: IE: for no apparent reason the windows start working again, then it's back to the same old dilema.Can anyone please help.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Smile Top module

Thanks for the input guys I finally resolved the problem by replacing the control module and all is now functioning as normal.
As I could not find any one in Australia to repair my unit, I was faced with sending it off to the U.S. / U.K. or to purchase new from the dealer: This cost was much higher than sending it overseas, but I found that the new unit was an upgraded component, so MB must have found the glitch and fixed it. Small concession to the high price but at the end of the day I am pleased to have the all the functions back.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Default SL500 soft top module

I have a 97 SL500. After the battery needed a jump, both the rollbar switch and the softtop switch remained lit and inoperative.

Went to Mercedes dealership. A $130 diagnostic indicated it needed a new module. Cost installed, about $2600. Decided to do some checking.

Searched the internet and this forum, found where the module was located and also found a place which rebuilds them (Mercedes SL Convertible Top Module Repair Service Benz Soft Roof | eBay) So I pulled the module. Before shipping it off for repair, I decided to re-install the unit based on something I had read somewhere. IT NOW WORKED PERFECTLY

So...if your symptoms match those described above, try removing the module for a while, then reinstalling. It could save you $$$.