Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

gearbox - oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 04:45 AM
Default gearbox - oil change

Hi there. I hope to get some advice regarding a "few" problems I got with my SL 500 1992 model. (been causing me a great deal of aggrevation)
Well, just recently I had a partial engine overhaul - skimming of the cylinder head due to overheating (bought it like that - didn't know of it since it would only overheat on longer drives and when pushed slightly - 100 miles +. I have been driving it max 300 miles). As well there was a mild problem with the gearbox giving a delay and a tug when changing from 3rd to fourth gear. After the engine got fixed (took a while - was sitting for more than 2 month ), the gearbox problem was severely worsened to the extent that it is now very reluctant to change gear unless I downstep on the gas !!! I know - it's cracy !
I'm believe there must have been a small leak from the transmission box since the mechanic added 2 liter. I had it serviced just after I bought and the told me the checked the oil. However, in hindsight this cannot be taken for ceratin - so the oil may have been low all along !

The question is whether the gearbox is completely gone or if it's repairable. Could it be an adjustment problem - one mechanic friend told me that it maybe the reason ? Or could it be that the proper transmission oil was not used. (I live pt in United Arab Emirates and the garage was not exactly mercedes standard)
Now I asked the them to change transmission oil and filter - is it safe to empty ALL the oil out - I been told that if the oil haven't been changed in time it's risky to change the oil at oil - it may worsen the problem ! In my case I don'd have a choice since it can't get much worse, Anyway, the mechanic advised only to change 5 liters, but why not change it all ?IS there any problem with that ? And what is by the way the full capacity - gear oil. I just don't understand how the gearbox can so much worse from just sitting - not being used ?

The center top consul unit underneath the rear mirror has been sun damaged and are totally crumbled - yeah it can be hot down here. This poor SL baby has for sure taken some beatings, but the leather seats and the rest of the interior is mine ( maybe been changed). Can you recommend a good dealer for aftermarket spareparts.

Thanks all and have a nice weekend
peter [8D]