Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

Changing points and condensor '75 450SL

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Default Changing points and condensor '75 450SL

1975 450 SL Started this AM and ran for a couple of minutes then began to stumble, then died. Then would not start. When I pulled the dist. cap I have a condensor that looks like it had a wire attached but no wire there. I can't see where it should be attached. When searching on line I can find points but no mention of a condensor. The number on the condensor is Germany 1 237 330 293 533. Looks like there was a wire soldered to it but can't find one in the distrubitor. Help! Leont

Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 PM

Condensor was cut out apparently not needed. I assume it is controlled by the module. Have so far changed the cap, points and pulled the distributor out and cleaned it along with the trigger points, they looked ok. I am now in the process of changing the auxiliary air valve which was stuck and when trying to clean it I broke it and am awaiting another. Fuel pump was replaced. When I pulled the distributor I noticed that the vacume advance plate had scratch marks under 2 of the things that hold it in and it wouldn't move. I loosened them and got it to move. Not sure what this will do since I can't try it until I get the part in. Will let you know. Leont

Old 05-25-2012, 06:34 PM

Just changed out the auxiliary air valve and that wasn't it. Starts then dies immediately. Not sure if this helps anyone but will keep posting. Anyone have a comment? Thanks, Leont

Old 05-25-2012, 07:46 PM

have you checked the fuel pump relay. They can run the pump long enough to start then malfunction in the run mode

Old 05-26-2012, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the response, will check that if I can find the fuel pump relay. I think it is under the passenger side dash. I have seen the relays there but haven't, as yet found which was which. We just picked up a couple of my great-grand-sons for a week stay so may not get a lot done for a day or two, Ha! Thanks again.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 PM

Pulled no. 1 plug to confirm I was at TDC and it was fouled with carbon. Apparently with all I was doing I had fouled the plugs. It started and is now running. Will have to take it out tomorrow and see what it does. Don't have a timing light to set the dwell so will have to either get one or take it down to the local shop. I am trying to do most of the work myself both to save money and just to say I did it. Well my grand-daughters husband was racing but not with mercedes, but he helped. Will let you know.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 AM

Didn't work. Pulled distributor and cleaned it and replaced the plugs. Now starts but I can't get it to idle down. Don't have a timing light so will have to take it to someone I guess. Not sure if I can ever get this neat looking little car to run right. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Pulled the breather off and looked for leaks in vacuum lines and put the breather back. Now won't start! It is an intermittent problem that is driving me crazy. Really didn't change any thing then it wouldn't start. Can any one offer any things?

Old 06-22-2012, 05:43 PM

Some where while changing things I crossed up #5 and #6 plug wires. Now running. Have a dwell meter and it is a 30 but don't have a timing light so will have to take it to someone to get it timed. Runs ok but seems to lack power, also running near 200 deg. Hope it is timing but aux fan doesn't come on, looks like someone cut a wire that leads to it.?? Well at least it is running.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:59 AM

might try trial and error with the timing. just mark your starting point. I don't know if they have them for a Mercedes, but on my last car that had points. A 69 Lincoln Mark 3. They have what they call electronic points/ignition. Anyway, there's was no setting a gap and I never replaced points again. so for you who have cars with the mechanical points, you might check to see if the electronic is available for your old Merc when you go to replace them. they are great

Last edited by brookings; 06-23-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing points and condensor '75 450SL