Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

ABS pump question

Old 02-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Default ABS pump question

2007 SL550
Had rear brakes done at the dealer. I think all they did was the pads. The bill was under $300. Since then, the ABS pump seems to run way more than it used to. I don't even remember ever hearing it come on before, now it comes on fairly often. I am not talking about driving hard either. Easy driving on good surface. Even sitting still in park: If I give the brake pedal four or five pumps, I hear the pump come on for about somewhere between five to ten seconds. I did this about a half a dozen times in a row and it comes on with the fourth or fifth pump every time. The brakes work fine, car stops so fast it is damn near disorienting if I tell it to. No lights or any indication of problem.
Any advice/information on how often this pump should be coming on would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rich

Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 AM

This is normal operation. just pressing the pedal while at a standstill will cause the SBC pump to make noise. Its not really an ABC system. its a SBC system.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:16 AM

Chassis221
Thanks for your reply. In your reply you said ABC (I am assuming you meant to type ABS): Just to be sure we are on the same page I was talking brakes/ABS, not ABC. If I am missing something here please let me know. Anyway: I figured it wasn't too serious since the car seems to be instrumented to death and there were no warning lights/messages, plus the brakes seem to stop the car as fast as physics will permit. Just didn't remember hearing the pump before I got the rear brakes done,so I wanted to ask.

Thanks Again
Rich

PS After reading the response saying it is normal and knowing to call it SBC instead of ABS, I searched again with much better results. From what I found it is just a matter of some cars the pump noise is more pronounced than others. I think from what I read there may be a service bulletin addressing a mounting issue or something. I will keep digging, because it definitely has become more noticeable.

Last edited by Rich_sl500; 02-03-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: found new info