Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

1999 SL500 DIAGNOSTIC CODE CHECK ENGINES

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:48 AM
Default RE: 1999 SL500 DIAGNOSTIC CODE CHECK ENGINES

Bob, the harmonic balancer has beenchanged By the way I have 22,600 miles on the car.
I'm taking it tommorrow to MB dealer for a 28 point FREE checkout. They'll check the mounts and other items but they won't hook it up to the computor diagnostic machine.
I'll know whether the mounts are broke or not.
Can you think of any other thing that could be causing the idle to run rough in park? That way I have more questions to ask them.
The service rep told me that the items that would be done for the B service would be changing the plugs and fuel filter.
How hard is it to change the plugs?
If I were to get plugs from Autohuas, which ones should I get, they have 3 listed? My car is not supercharged or a Turbo. I think I'd either get the standard or Platinum 4
I see they are pregapped, but to check them was is thegap size?
Do you know what size socket?
Which fuel filter?
The Bosch or the Knecht?
Thanks again
John

Old 10-29-2007, 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Roadman

Bob, the harmonic balancer has beenchanged By the way I have 22,600 miles on the car. My error, for some reason I thought you had more miles on this car.
I'm taking it tommorrow to MB dealer for a 28 point FREE checkout. They'll check the mounts and other items but they won't hook it up to the computor diagnostic machine.
I'll know whether the mounts are broke or not. Since your dealer is 'giving away' the inspection, you can almost be guaranteed they'll find something'
Can you think of any other thing that could be causing the idle to run rough in park? That way I have more questions to ask them. At 22K miles, now I'm doubting myself about the mounts and without being connected to the MB scan tool, anything engine related will be hard to spot. You and I are also using the terms 'run rough' and 'vibration' synonomously; I hope we're both being accurate.
The service rep told me that the items that would be done for the B service would be changing the plugs and fuel filter.Theevent triggers for a 'B' Service are either Time based or Mileage based; at 22K, you don't need it. In terms of time since last service, it may be possible you do, but IMO doubtful. How hard is it to change the plugs? Fairly straight forward, but you shouldn't need to. You do need the engine scan to determine if any of the cylinders is mis-fireing, weak plug, failing coil, etc.
If I were to get plugs from Autohuas, which ones should I get, they have 3 listed? My car is not supercharged or a Turbo. I think I'd either get the standard or Platinum 4 I've got Platinum 4's in mine. Pull one of yours and replace it with the same as current. But again, plug failure at this low mileage is almost non-existant.
I see they are pregapped, but to check them was is thegap size? No idea
Do you know what size socket? I can't recall; but inside your MB Toolkit, there's a socket you can use.
Which fuel filter?
The Bosch or the Knecht? Bosch's core business is electronics, Knecht's is filters, my personal preference would be Knecht.
Thanks again
John
Another thought on this rough idle/vibration thing...about a year ago I was whining to my tech that I didn't like the way my car was idling. After checking values with the scantool, his answer was to get 2 bottles of Chevron Techron Injector Cleaner, add to gas tank when around 1/4 full, take the car out and 'run the **** out of it'. While I don't normally believe in miracle cures in a bottle, it worked, and the idle has been fine since. Bob

Old 10-30-2007, 04:44 PM

Bob,
Here's the latest.
I took it to Mercedes dealer, motor mounts are ok.
To offset some of the diagnostic charge,I had them change the fuel filter.
When they did the diagnostic, they found the left adaptive & right adaptive. I don't remember what the code numbers were but they said its the air mass sensor that I cleaned on Saturday. I didn't get a CEL at all. And there still isn't one, they had it when they were checking it, so I was told.
They said it might help by changing the plugs, so I bought them from parts and put them in this afternoon. It runs fine except the same problem with the idle.
I contacted Autohaus about the air mass sensor and I had told the Mercedes person that I would be getting the part. They said to make sure its a mercedes part, So I called Autohaus back and the part is a Bosch and they said that Bosch makes alot of Mercedes parts.
What do you think?
Mercedes also said after I put the air mass sensor in that I should bring it back and they will zero it fora charge of $125. I thought all that had to be done was clear the bad codes once they come on. Are they giving me a story? Because I can take it to my guy and he can clear the codes, but is there more to it?
I'm waiting to hear from Mercedes about the Bosch AMS
Thanks
John

Old 10-30-2007, 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Roadman

Bob,
Here's the latest.
I took it to Mercedes dealer, motor mounts are ok. Certainly a relief I'm sure; wonder what the engine movement was then when you did the test I suggested. Leave that for another time
To offset some of the diagnostic charge,I had them change the fuel filter. Good idea, not a fun job without a lift.
When they did the diagnostic, they found the left adaptive & right adaptive. I don't remember what the code numbers were but they said its the air mass sensor that I cleaned on Saturday. I didn't get a CEL at all. And there still isn't one, they had it when they were checking it, so I was told. The tech should have noted the codes; see if you can get them.
They said it might help by changing the plugs, so I bought them from parts and put them in this afternoon. It runs fine except the same problem with the idle. As I said earlier I would have been very surprsed if plugs were the problem given the miles on the engine.
I contacted Autohaus about the air mass sensor and I had told the Mercedes person that I would be getting the part. They said to make sure its a mercedes part, So I called Autohaus back and the part is a Bosch and they said that Bosch makes alot of Mercedes parts. The MAF sensor is Bosch; the part # is stamped on the side of the insert in your car.
What do you think?
Mercedes also said after I put the air mass sensor in that I should bring it back and they will zero it fora charge of $125. I thought all that had to be done was clear the bad codes once they come on. Are they giving me a story? Because I can take it to my guy and he can clear the codes, but is there more to it? Let your guy clear the codes which to me sounds the same as MB saying 'zero it'.
I'm waiting to hear from Mercedes about the Bosch AMS Thanks
John

Bob

Old 10-31-2007, 12:16 AM

John,
I re-read your post, and it dawned on me that since your CEL light hasn't come back on, why replace the MAF sensor...it appears to be doing it's job, and fuel trim is within spec orCEL would light up.
I hope you can get the codes that the MB Dealer claims they read.

Have you had a qualified independent MB Tech look at the car? If you need a referral to one, this link will take you to listings by State of recommended shops as supplied by other owners. FYI...

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...splay.php?f=14

Also, I pulled a line drawing that was too large to post here of this sensor we're talking about. PM me with your email address if you want me to send it to you.

Bob