Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

1979 450 SLC Coupe

Old 10-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Default 1979 450 SLC Coupe

I have a chance to buy the above car, 114,000 miles, I am going to look at it on Sunday. The pictures the owner sent me, the cars looks to be in very good condition. However, he made a few commemts, the AC doesn't work and hasn't since he purchased it 25 years ago, he admits he never looked into to, I would imagine the compressor is shot? also he said it was not maintained as a daily driver just a summer weekend car. It is all original, except for a Sony AM FM radio. It has a sunroof, everything else works.

He is asking $4500 but will take an offer, I told him I could go $3500, as I did some research, and the selling price of a 1980 in excellent condition range from $3,021 to $3,200. There is no title, but that is not a problem here in MASS. He claims it runs like a clock, and I would be buyin it as a "toy" Question, I have been told on S Sedans the AC could be a very expensive item to fix, I called my local dealer, and the serive manager who I know, said I don't know if I can get parts for this car Al. The interior is quite clean. The owner claims it was a California car. It is located a little over 100 miles from here and I wrote the owner and said I will bring cash and my son to drive it home. If I really like it. He claims original paint (Silver) and no body damage or rust, Pictures of the engine compartmet show it as spotless, tires are excellent also, but might have some dry rot, hard to tell from the pictures. He is selling it as he has 5 cars, I know that feeling also, so he wants to get rid of it.

He also said to check STAR which I have and yes the prices are higherbut I was a long time Porsche owner, and had a 86 Carrera, in excellent condition I bought from a retired stock broker in 95 for $10K, and it was a good car, puff smoke like a cigar, if you let it sit a day or so, but that was Porsche back in those days. Sold the car in 03 for $8500 and had 150K miles, I bought it, as I remember with close to 90K miles. I did spend some money on it for repairs, one or two times a lot of money. But is was a daily driver, until I wised up and got an BMW, for daily drives also do you think $3500 is a honest offer for this car. I could dig out the website the pictures are on but would prefer to send them via private email, in case the owner is on this board. And so no one gets to it before I do.

I am usually on the C Class. My 99 C280 was the August ride of the month, so I am particular. Also being that old I could probably registry it as an antique. and save some big money on insurance in ths wonderful no fault state. Thanks for any help or advise. If I do buy it, it is going to be a keeper for a long time. Oh one more question, can I do the oil filter changes myself and most of the maintenance. Also forget to asked not be that familiar with this model and year, does it have 4 wheel disc brakes? Everything else is power and he just replaced the exhaust with a SS by timvalve, which I hear are excellent systems.No cats, so no pollution inspection and Mass is on CAT standards, so just safety inspection, Comes also with the complete set of Mercedes repair manuals for the car 4 volumes. Can anyone run a CARFAX for me 107 024 120 280 87 is the VIN he sent. I know I'm asking alot, but I really loves these cars and if the price is where I can get it I will have my son drive it home Sunday.

Old 10-29-2005, 09:11 AM
Default RE: 1979 450 SLC Coupe

i found my 77 450sl a constant source to spend $$$$ on, but seeing the end finally, (another 10k and should be done ) have collectors insurance, only 115 bucks a year to insure for $15,000 total value. has limitations on mileage and usage and must be garaged... least terms of my company.

american collectors car ins company i believe.

nothing s cheap about benz parts, found some part s only available at dealer....

good luck !

Old 10-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Default RE: 1979 450 SLC Coupe

. I got a local quote of $695 as an "Antique License Vehicle" mileage limitation, but no garage requirement, but an appraisel has to be made by the insurer. Also, the Regulating Valve is draining the battery. The person I am buying th car from installed a battery shut off.As you loss interest in the car, his latest project is a 57 356S Porsche. But I am planning on driving it home tomorrow and wondering is the valve is draining the battery with the engine off, Will it still drain the battery while driving?? The person I am buying it from said the regulating valve was the biggest problem on the car as this is the 3 unit, at $900.00 unit, which is cheap as I have seen them as high as $1,500. I was talking to a parts place that sell a replacement unit this is run by the electrical system. The person I spoke with couldn't answer one question I had, which was, if you switch to an electical unit, what do you do wil all the vacuum lines? My local Mercedes shop told me not to worry, he seems to think the heating element is the problem and for around $100 can be replaced and it is an electrical unit. Also the shop told me, don't be surprised if you start getting heat the longer you drive. The present owner has only driven it once a month and then just around town with a short burst on the interstate, Should be an interesting day. We are leaving early as Prozac weather starts tonight. Any info you can pass on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the insight. I've had collector cars before and you correct money, money, money and no return on investment for the most part. This car is a strong runner and I am hoping it won't be a money eater,

Old 07-28-2016, 05:41 PM
Default 1979 450 slc

Allan,
Just saw your post about perhaps buying the 79 450SLC.
I am also in Massachusetts.
Did you end up buying the car and if you did, who are you using for a source for parts?
I recently retired and finished my 68 Corvette and now would like to start on my 79 SLC.
Thank you for any vendor suggestions
Kurt

Old 07-29-2016, 08:52 AM

The thread was posted in 2005.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:42 PM

Fasttee,
I know when it was posted; I do know how to read but I was trying to reach the individual to see if he had resources I could use since getting replies on this forum is MUCH slower than other automotive forums to which I belong.
I was hoping he could point me toward some reputable vendors other than the Mercedes dealership.
Kurt