Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

suspension/airmatic problem '00 S500

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Default suspension/airmatic problem '00 S500

A friend of mine has an S500. She was explaining to me that her car was making noises, and she was afriad to drive it. I have a little bit of knowlege of the MB air ride suspension, but not an expert. (She is a single working mom, and this is her only transportation). I discoverd a crack on the top of the left (drivers side) strut. No problem, I called the dealership and they have a repair kit in stock, $120.06 + tax. My question is how do I get the pump to come back on to bring the front suspension back to the properride heigth? She lives an hour north of myself, and I'm heading back up tomarrow afternoon to repair the strut. So I'm hoping someone can find this post, and help me out soon.

Another question? Is this repair kit epoxy? I havent been over to the dealership to pick it up yet, but I wanted to know.

Also, what kind of material is the top of the strut? Plastic or composite??

Thank you to anyone for your help

Old 08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Default RE: suspension/airmatic problem '00 S500

Slill looking for any help!

Old 08-02-2007, 04:49 PM
NAZ

when you start the car the air matic pump should oprete on its on,if does not work you have problem with a sticky relay which on the right side fuse bx inside the hood ,second i dont no how you gonna calibrate after renwel of the suspension usaaly its done via a STAR DIAGNOSIS TO GET TO ITS PROP RIDE HEIGHTS,ANY WAY GOOD LUCK..........

Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 PM
NAZ

if the height on the right side is down and rest look ok check the ride height sensor lever on the top suspension arm on right is a small like ball joint, with a10mm bolt on it ,if that breaks the height goes down.........check on both fronts

Old 08-02-2007, 06:02 PM

Thank you sir! I'm on my way up right now to use the repair kit.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: NAZ

when you start the car the air matic pump should oprete on its on,if does not work you have problem with a sticky relay which on the right side fuse bx inside the hood ,second i dont no how you gonna calibrate after renwel of the suspension usaaly its done via a STAR DIAGNOSIS TO GET TO ITS PROP RIDE HEIGHTS,ANY WAY GOOD LUCK..........
When I started the car, the pump did not come on. So I checked all the relays on the right side (passenger) fuse box. I felt stupid, because I left to go work on her car, and left my volt/ohlm meter at home. I did pull the relay out several times both with the car off, and with the car on. With the car on I could hear the relay snap internally, as to indicate that it was working. So I am assuming that the pump is bad.

If this sounds right,are there any parts dealers other than the MB dealership that can sell a replacent pump?

NAZ - Thank you for your help so far, I have found your advise to be very helpful.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:05 PM
NAZ

as far as i am concern i dont thing you can get the pump from any were a part from MB,before replacin check for feed to the pump its under the right side head lamp you ll need to get the under cover of to see the pump,wat usally happens on this is the rely gets faulty and the pump over runs and burns out,so when replacin pump relace relay as well infet u ll get relay with it cos its a on going fault...........................

Old 08-03-2007, 10:50 PM

ORIGINAL: NAZ

as far as i am concern i dont thing you can get the pump from any were a part from MB,before replacin check for feed to the pump its under the right side head lamp you ll need to get the under cover of to see the pump,wat usally happens on this is the rely gets faulty and the pump over runs and burns out,so when replacin pump relace relay as well infet u ll get relay with it cos its a on going fault...........................
I found a few yards that sell used pumps for around $355.00 USD. They gave a 90 day warrenty against failure. But it is only $465.00 USD + tax at the dealer. But because this amount is out of her budget, she is going to wait until she can afford this cost. Also at this point, I have advised her to take it into the dealer so that they can set the computer with thier STAR system.

I feel very disapointed that I was not able to help her more than I did. But the dealer wanted $575.00 USD just to repair the strut. So I have saved her over $200 already.

Thank you NAZ for your contribution of this thread!

Joe - San Diego, CA