Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Replacing the CD Changer in a 2000 S500

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Default Replacing the CD Changer in a 2000 S500

The screen recognizes the CD changer but states that the magazine is empty when in fact it is full. I understand that the CD changer is bad and I should replace it. Are there directions available on how to replace the CD changer or can someone provide me directions on how to remove and replace the changer?

Thank You

Old 07-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Default CD Changer.

I have the same problem, no cartridge, or skipping while driving, then it stops all together, removing the cartridge and put it back in will help for a short period of time , then the trouble starts again. I am going to take it out, and see if I can get it serviced. As soon I have done that I can post on how to get it out. I did found a used one on EBay for $ 395.00 For a USED one? which probable ends up with the same problem. The next alternative would be to replace the changer with a non Mercedes one, those new changers are so much better in technology then the ones who are like 10 years old. I checked with crutchfield, (check out there web site) and they do have one whereas you don't need to revamp the wires, considering that the changer runs trough fiber optics cables, it's just plug and play, I just need to check the dimensions of the changer, I would like to install it in the same location as the one I have now. Don't know about the price yet either, but I will find out.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Default CD Changer

Okay, I found this for those who have CD changer problems included the common problems.

Here are the common problems for those Fiber Optic Benz CD Changer:
Radio Display said"NO CD CHANGER"." MAGAZINE IS EMPTY".
CD'S WON'T EJECT.
CD'S STUCKS INSIDE.
CD WON'T PLAY.
CD WILL NOT LOAD.
NO SOUND, NO MUSIC.
Please call Jimmy Chen TALK to the right person if you want your CD Changer get fix:
SHIPPING ADDRESS:
FACTORY SERVICE CENTER
140 HIRSHFELD PL
NEW MILFORD, NJ 07646
201-312-2317
Jimmy is the TECHICAL Manager and Technician Services and Repair ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CD Changers and BMW CD Changers
over 16 years Experience. No body know better than he does.
Please call.
You can send the defective cd changer with check $130 to us for repair.
Make check pay to:Jimmy Chen.
. CHECK OUR OTHER EBAY LISTINGS FOR SALES. PLEASE CALL US IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION.
WE BUY REPAIRABLE CORES AT LEAST $50.00 FOR ANY REPAIRABLE MERCEDES-BENZ FIBER OPTIC CD CHANGER( AS LONG AS NOT WATER DAMAGED)

Hope this helps for those of you who have problems with the changer.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Default May not be the CD Changer at all?

I have experienced the same problems with my 2000 S500. Listening to a CD and go to change to another and it says there is no CD changer installed. Change track and it forgets that whole CD, etc. Just a myriad of weird issues.

I found I was able to get it working again by doing the following.
1. Power off the Command System
2. Turn off the car.
3. Eject cartridge from CD changer
4. Allow it to sit for a while (1/2 hr. seems to be enough)
5. Reinsert cartridge
6. Turn on ignition (don't have to start the car) and then power on the Command system.
7. All is well until it fails again.

I thought it must be the CD changer also so I replaced it with the Mercedes MP40 (Not a Mercedes Product) which is an all solid state system, no moving parts. Plug and play replacement for the CD Changer.

All was well for a while and then the same symptoms as with the CD changer have appeared. Same solution to fix it.

I believe the problem must be in the command system or the D2B. My vehicle had a phone before I bought it but does not now have a phone, other than that I believe it's as delivered except for the MP40.

Any ideas would be appreciated as I too would like to resolve this.