Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Help. Oil Pan Snding Unit/Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Default Help. Oil Pan Snding Unit/Pan Gasket

Took my 92 500 SL that I have completely refurbed 3 years ago and don't drive too much to a Jiffy Lube but brought my own High Velocity oil, now I have a very small(drop) oil leak. I figured they did not tighten plug mough. However, not the case. I then took it to the Dealer. They say I need a new oil sending unit & pan gasket. I am concerned that they just looked at my guage which has been tempermental and staying on 3 for quite a while, and then it will just start working properly by dropping down to the mid range at idle and going back to 3 when drving. This occurrence has been going on for a while w/out leak. Car runs great!!! How would thy know the sendung unit is the cause of leak.....and where is it located. They want $450.00 for the job (replace sending unit and pan gasket. Is this sounding correct to anyone??

Old 12-17-2006, 02:21 AM
Default RE: Help. Oil Pan Snding Unit/Pan Gasket

I own a 95 S 420. At a do it yourself day 4 years ago the technician said my car needed a new gasket. Last he said one of the oil sender sending units was also leaking. to make matters worse I got the drain plug stuck in the oil pan.

This summer I changed the oil pan in an automotive repair class. It involved unbolding the engine from the frame, raising the engine, taking off the pan replacing one of the sensors and then replacing the gasket lowering the engine and getting the engine mount bolts to align with the engine mounts, Actually I was able to change one of the engine mounts,

I went back to the dealer to return the other engine mount and was told that the mounts should be replaced in pairs so I let them replace the other engine mount. I received a call from the technician who had assisted me at the last DIY day, and he told me I had changed the wrong oil sensor. And to replace the correct sensor he would have had to bill 4 hours to raise the engine and make the changes. So the price seems correct. The sending units are $71 each. One sending unit is for oil pressure and the other is for oil level. I decided to live with a small leak.