Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Comand Center -- "system unavailable"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Default Command

Hena - please let us know what happened with your command system - did you have it replaced or?

Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 AM

Not yet, I will let you know if I do it one of these days.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Default command center

Hena
I would shop this problem to maybe two independent repair shops for their input. I do not trust the dealers anymore, I have been in the auto modification and repair business for most of my life, doing work for the private sector, city, state and the Feds, I am not the average dummy. But when a dealer checks my car, spends 4 hours looking for a problem, then checks the battery and then wants to bill me for not even doing a basic voltage check, I draw the line! Don't let them run up a bill needlessly, get a second opinion.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Exclamation Comand System

I replaced mine in the 2004 (430) it cost about $800 used from japan or china Ebay had system. The dealership checked and advised me the system sometimes just malfunction without a reason brand new Comand would cost about 5k that's nuts
I also checked out an AVIC/Panasonic but Mercedes uses Fiber Optic wiring and that's a whole re-wiring of the electronics about a 2k dollor job including the AVIC radio good luck

Old 01-22-2015, 01:25 AM
Default Command System

Originally Posted by kevlex4
I replaced mine in the 2004 (430) it cost about $800 used from japan or china Ebay had system. The dealership checked and advised me the system sometimes just malfunction without a reason brand new Comand would cost about 5k that's nuts
I also checked out an AVIC/Panasonic but Mercedes uses Fiber Optic wiring and that's a whole re-wiring of the electronics about a 2k dollor job including the AVIC radio good luck
When you say you replaced does that mean what I see - the screen with the buttons on the left and right sides (excuse my ignorance) I have lived with this thing not working now for awhile and thinking maybe I can fix it.

Can you tell me how, if this is the fix for everything be "not available" ie replace the command system.

Thank you

Old 01-22-2015, 09:39 AM

Hello All,
I found out my problem is not the command unit. I was told by Mercedes Benz of Westminister that my comand unit is bad and need more than $6000 for the just the unit. Callcoy was right when he suggested me to check with second party. I believed them as they spent quite few days checking it. But when I talk to this guy in the link, he said, it can not be my comand unit as the Mercedes logo comes up before it goes back asleep. And, he was right my comand unit checked and found working by another independent mechanic in FL http://www.hitechserv.com/electronics-repair/oem-navigation-dvd-cd-changer-repair/80
When you go on this link there is a troubleshoot video and you can check it for yourself. He is showing that on C class but I could use it for my S class.
I bought the FC close loop on ebay for $17.95 and doing the diagnose for myself now. I only tested the Cd unit so far as I didn't have time but hoping to do it next month as I am traveling the next couple of weeks. Hope this gives you some clue.

Last edited by hena; 01-22-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Default got fixed

Hello all,
My 'system unavailable' issue finally got fixed. We replaced the gateway module in the trunk. I bought a comand unit on ebay and replaced it first as I was told it is the comand unit problem by second Mercedes dealer, but that didn't fix the issue. I found two mechanic through a friend and they did diagnose again and told me the audio gateway is a problem so I bought that again on ebay and got replaced. Every thing is working fine now. The mechanics fixed my car live in DC area so if anyone of you live around DC, Northern VA or MD I can give you their contact information and they can check your car.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:40 PM

Hello,
I am having this "system unavailable" issue now with my '05 SL500 / I just got the car a year ago and the problem was intermittent but now seems to be permanent. Sometimes I would hear a loud pop sound (and sometimes a beep) prior to the system going out. Now if it comes on at all, it only stays on for about 15 seconds or so - and then the dreaded "system unavailable" message. I do live in the DC metro area - so Henna if you are still there please let me know who to go to to get this fixed. Thanks so much.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by osprey55
Hello,
I am having this "system unavailable" issue now with my '05 SL500 / I just got the car a year ago and the problem was intermittent but now seems to be permanent. Sometimes I would hear a loud pop sound (and sometimes a beep) prior to the system going out. Now if it comes on at all, it only stays on for about 15 seconds or so - and then the dreaded "system unavailable" message. I do live in the DC metro area - so Henna if you are still there please let me know who to go to to get this fixed. Thanks so much.
Hi Osprey,
I am not in the area, but the mechanics are there. Please call Birhan at (202) 651 0462

Old 03-13-2017, 12:11 PM
Default System Unavailable

Thanks very much, I will let you know what happens!

Quick Reply: Comand Center -- "system unavailable"