Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Advice on buying a Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Default Advice on buying a Mercedes

I've reached 60 years of age and unfortunately a few years back I lost my job. I am now full time carer for my 85 year old mother. I have always wanted a Mercedes which I think are the best cars in the world but I could never afford one. I am now thinking of buying a used S Class for between £6000 and £8000. I don't have a high yearly mileage, around 2500 miles per year and I do most of my own servicing plus my cousin is a time served mechanic so I wouldn't be getting any work done by a Mercedes dealership either doing it myself or with my cousin's help or using a trusted independent I have used occasionally.

Am I making a sensible decision here? I basically want to spend my last years driving a luxury car, my dream luxury car. My personal choice would be the S 320. Is that a good choice? What sort of things should I watch out for at the time of purchase, for example I've heard that the AC can be quite expensive to put right if not working. I'd appreciate any ideas members may have. Cheers.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:33 AM
FOG

I bought a 1997 S 500 sedan for 5000$ a few year back and couldn't be happier with it. I did have to replace the spark coils. but they were cheap on Ebay. My local shop has no problem working on it for the same rate as a chevy. Things like oil changes and normal service are cheaper than some as the car needs nothing.
I was so impressed with it I have since bought 2 SLs a 1998 SL500 which I traded for my current 2004 SL55 AMG.
I'm completely sold on MB quality , and so is everyone I meet in my town as well. Vain as it may be it's nice to enjoy the envy of complete strangers. For the price of a Taurus.

FOG

Old 01-30-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Gozoman
I've reached 60 years of age and unfortunately a few years back I lost my job. I am now full time carer for my 85 year old mother. I have always wanted a Mercedes which I think are the best cars in the world but I could never afford one. I am now thinking of buying a used S Class for between £6000 and £8000. I don't have a high yearly mileage, around 2500 miles per year and I do most of my own servicing plus my cousin is a time served mechanic so I wouldn't be getting any work done by a Mercedes dealership either doing it myself or with my cousin's help or using a trusted independent I have used occasionally.

Am I making a sensible decision here? I basically want to spend my last years driving a luxury car, my dream luxury car. My personal choice would be the S 320. Is that a good choice? What sort of things should I watch out for at the time of purchase, for example I've heard that the AC can be quite expensive to put right if not working. I'd appreciate any ideas members may have. Cheers.
I am 71 and have the pleasure of owning three Mercedes-Benz vehicles in my lifetime. These include a 1975 450 SL which was a magnificent automobile, a 1976 240D which was well made and very under powered (it could accelerate on a downhill run) and a 1997 S420 which I still have.

The secret to buying consists of three parts; how much you have to pay, what the known design or construction problems are with that model and year, and what condition (how well maintained) the vehicle is in.

There is an old saying that says you have a choice of speed, quality, and price - pick any two. I have always purchased used vehicles and have always waited until the right one showed up at the right price and in the right condition and have been very fortunate to obtain really good vehicles at very reasonable prices.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by pncurtis
I am 71 and have the pleasure of owning three Mercedes-Benz vehicles in my lifetime. These include a 1975 450 SL which was a magnificent automobile, a 1976 240D which was well made and very under powered (it could accelerate on a downhill run) and a 1997 S420 which I still have.

The secret to buying consists of three parts; how much you have to pay, what the known design or construction problems are with that model and year, and what condition (how well maintained) the vehicle is in.

There is an old saying that says you have a choice of speed, quality, and price - pick any two. I have always purchased used vehicles and have always waited until the right one showed up at the right price and in the right condition and have been very fortunate to obtain really good vehicles at very reasonable prices.
Yeah I'm the same. No intention of buying until the right one appears, right down to the upholstery!

Old 02-09-2015, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by FOG
I bought a 1997 S 500 sedan for 5000$ a few year back and couldn't be happier with it. I did have to replace the spark coils. but they were cheap on Ebay. My local shop has no problem working on it for the same rate as a chevy. Things like oil changes and normal service are cheaper than some as the car needs nothing.
I was so impressed with it I have since bought 2 SLs a 1998 SL500 which I traded for my current 2004 SL55 AMG.
I'm completely sold on MB quality , and so is everyone I meet in my town as well. Vain as it may be it's nice to enjoy the envy of complete strangers. For the price of a Taurus.

FOG
Yeah, I'd be doing my own servicing so no worries there. I know that main dealerships can charge silly money for doing the simplest jobs.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:20 PM

It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into your decision, and wanting to fulfill your dream of driving a luxury car like a Mercedes S Class is completely understandable. Given your circumstances and budget, opting for a used S Class within the £6000 to £8000 range seems like a practical choice. Look out for common issues such as the functionality of the air conditioning system, as repairing it can be costly. While the Mercedes S 320 is a popular choice among luxury car enthusiasts, it's always wise to do some research and consider factors such as fuel efficiency, reliability, and overall condition of the vehicle. You may also want to explore other options available in your budget range to ensure you make the best decision for your needs. If you're open to exploring alternative options, I would recommend considering the Toyota RAV4 plug hibrid . It offers a blend of luxury, fuel efficiency, and advanced features, making it a compelling choice for those seeking a premium driving experience. You can learn more about the RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid here: Toyota RAV4 Plug-in Hybrid. Ultimately, the decision is yours to make, but I hope this information helps you make an informed choice. Best of luck with your car shopping journey!