Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

2005 s500-Clicking sound rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 12:35 PM
DSD
Default 2005 s500-Clicking sound rear wheels

2005 s500. Just swapped out the wheels/tires to the summer set and the same ones that came off the car in November. When I drive (at any speed) I hear clicking sounds from both rear wheels at a rate of about 3-4 per revolution. Happens when going in either direction and braking does not change the sound - seems to have no effect and not related to the brakes. Things I've considered:
- maybe I jacked the rear wheels incorrectly. I place the hydraulic floor jack just inside the hubs on what I felt was a solid structure. Maybe it wasn't and I bent something that is now rubbing against U-joints - on both sides???
The rear wheels are slightly wider than the front (comes this way) yet I had the same tire size placed on all 4. Maybe this is an issue if they are in the wrong position. I call the local dealer and he did not think so.
These are the same tires and wheels that were on the car 4 months ago when all was well. Any thoughts?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:14 PM

Wheel bearings??

Old 04-19-2016, 08:40 PM
DSD
Default rear brake clicking sound

After driving the 4 miles to our Mercedes dealer I noticed that the sound, although still there, was much less noticeable. The mechanic suggested it was the brake dust cover that is on the inside of the brakes. He pushed on it and I drove it in the garage while he listens - no change but, I'm thinking it's a lot less than when I started out to the dealer. We concluded that I would keep an eye on it. I felt fairly confident something was not being damaged. Bottom line - whatever it was, it cured itself. After about 30 miles and since (about 600 miles) there was not a click. Know that these clicks were not consistent to the revolution of the wheel. Sometimes (in the beginning of this whole thing) it would, on a particular wheel, click three times per revolution. Then, when trying to hear it again, it might click 5 times per rev. It had and still have me baffled.

I thank you for the suggesting that it might be a wheel bearing but the characteristics and sound did not match that and why would it happen exactly after changing the wheels? So - a mystery still.