Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

2004 S600 transmission shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Default 2004 S600 transmission shifting issue

Over the past several months I have been dealing with a continued harsh shifting and what seems like a torque converter slippage - engagement feel.

At low speeds the transmission seems to shift harsher than normal, and what feels like the torque converter slipping on lock-up. At higher speed it seems to "hunt" for a gear at times. Even when you let off the accelerator, sometimes what feels like the torque converter seems to disengage in a harsh manner.

History:

Car only has 25,000 miles, never missed a service, never denied any recommended servicing, and has always been serviced at MBZ dealer under warranty.

A few months ago the transmission started to shift harshly and would slip some. Can't check the trans fluid level, and I didn't see any fluid on the garage floor I wasn't sure what it was. When I brought it in, they found it was a leak at the connector (2nd time this has happened) and it was very low on fluid. Fixed leak, filled with fluid, told me all was well, though I expressed my concern for internal damage since it was driven for who know how long with low fluid. Two days later the trans still shifted harshly etc, but while driving the "pre safe inactive" message came on the message center and the transmission wouldn't shift past 3rd gear. Took it immediately to the dealer. They said fluid had leaked into the control module, and replaced it, and everything was as-good-as-new. Got a block away and it STILL shifted the same. Turned around, and was told I needed to be patient and allow the transmission to relearn my driving pattern. For two months I let what appears to be a "learning impaired" control module try an learn my driving pattern to no avail. One day while trying to get to the airport in a hurry, I couldn't get the car to go past 70 mph, and at that it was nearly red-lining. So, I again took it back to the dealer, thinking the trans had finally given out. Took the tech for a test drive, he acknowledged the transmission shifting issues (and driven with him the time before also) and now showed him the lack of power etc. After three weeks (blamed on bad weather and unable to test drive) they have put in a Turbo Pressure Sensor to fix the lack of power and now claim it was this pressure sensor that must have been causing all my shifting problems as it affects the transmission too.

While I told them it might very well affect the transmission and might have been affecting mine, but my issues occurred months PRIOR to any performance issue and appeared just before a leak and lack of fluid was diagnosed.

The car is still under the factory extended warranty, but what seems to be obvious internal damage is being pushed off on other things by the Tech. I realize it could be something as simple as a spring, or as bad a burned bands and clutches, but can't seem to get them to investigate.

I haven't gotten the car back, they say they want to drive it for a few days. I told them that wasn't really necessary as either the turbo sensor fixed the transmission issue, or it didn't, as the transmission shifted poorly at all times regardless of being cold or warm or speed.

Anyone have similar issues or any advice in dealing with this issue?

Last edited by 300SDLGUY; 02-26-2010 at 04:45 PM.