Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

water leaks into passenger compartment w220

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Default water leaks into passenger compartment w220

i haven't seen this posted anywhere else, so i thought i would post it myself. if you notice water dripping (or pouring) down from below the glove box area into the passenger compartment when it rains, you've probably got a plugged-up drain.

open the hood and remove the plastic grate which covers the fresh air intake located on the passenger side of the car. there are six large rectangular holes placed around the outer edge of the grate. place a medium-sized flat screwdriver into the outside edge of each of these holes and pull up that section of the grate. you may have to twist the screwdriver slightly to release the clips at each of these locations. when all the clips are released, the cover will pull straight up, giving you access to the large drain hole at the bottom. you will probably notice it's been clogged with small leaves, pine needles, etc. clean it out first by hand, then flush it with water or blow out with compressed air untll it flows fully. replace the grate and tap slightly at each clip location until it locks into place.

Old 10-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Default RE: water leaks into passenger compartment w220

Excellent first post my man, these are things to file in the brain to pull out when the time arises.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:15 AM

this s acommon design fault on the w220, the plenum chamber reed valve gets blocked and the excess water goes into the footwell, there is an advisory on mb WIS, to add another reed valve to the air chamber , need to take it out and drill a hole and fit another valve.

valve is cheap and this can be done by a reasoneable DIY'er

Old 10-16-2006, 12:55 PM

I just pushed the lower left corner with a stick, valve opens and everithing came out.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:57 PM

i did sprayed some wd 40 (water displacement oil) because if this did happened (water leaking inside)then water was sucked into the blower and you may have to replace it soon

Old 10-16-2006, 05:27 PM

good info. i am gonna have to check mine.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:54 AM

m.b. actually had a recall years agon about this topic. it has since cause alot of dammage. they should be cleaned on bothe A and B services

Old 08-21-2008, 11:13 AM

I am currently working on a case relating to 1999 through 2005 Mercedes S430 and S500 vehicle flooding as the result of clogging of the reed valve, and flooding of the air intake box (plenum). Please contact me if you have any information regarding this condition. My contact information is:

Robert L. Starr, Esq.
The Law Office of Robert L. Starr
(818) 225-9040
Email: starresq@hotmail.com

Old 11-11-2008, 03:48 PM

I have a 2006 S430 and for the second time, I have had water leaking into the floor of the passanger side. The first time considerable damage was caused ($1500) as I recall and the dealer stronglyencouraged me to call my insurance company. This time, they said I caught it earlier but it seemed to me just as much water was inside the car. The dealer said I shouldn't park the car under trees as this resulted in the malfunction. I don't understand this because there are two other cars parked in the same area of the driveway and neither have this problem. In addition, I have it washed at least every other week. I can't believe an $80,000+ car shouldn't be parked under trees. Has anyone else experieced this frustration?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Just had the same problem yesterday morning with my 2006 S430, after a rainstorm the previous evening. Car parked in the same driveway, under the same treesfor more than 2 years. Dealer and MB rep both say it is not a defect in materials or workmanship and therefore not covered under the warranty. I say it is a design flaw and they should have taken some action to remedy the problem - which I am finding to be more widespread than they are letting on.

Did you (or anyone else) have any luck in terms of getting the dealer and/or MB to help with the fix under the warranty? Many thanks.

Quick Reply: water leaks into passenger compartment w220