Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Mystery leak on the Silver Arrow

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default Mystery leak on the Silver Arrow

Alright, I tell you, I bought this car to work on everynow and then but they made these W126 so well that once you fix something right, you have to wait another 100,000 miles before it breaks again. And at 133,000 my W126 is still relatively young. So I got picky. Besides the up coming front end tweaking (which is something I seem to have to do on every W126 I get my hands on over 100,000), the only other problem is a small tiny leak.

At first, I thought it was tranny just from the general location but it wasnt after takign a close look. It wasnt cherry juice. Then I guessed motor oil, from the rear seal, but then again, the oil level in the car hasnt changed at all. But then I noticed that power steering oil level changed, by getting a little lower to the point of slight whininng every two or three months. So it must be that type of oil. So now from the location of where the oil hanging out at, I would have to guess most of the leak is from the bottom end of the power steering system and leaks most when the car is running causing it to fly back onto the crossmember and bell housing. In a way, it dont look like a major repair. Yet, this also could point to a leaking power steering gearbox which can be a PITA to find rebuilt and even more of a PITA to put in. Yet, as small as the leak is, more than likely it just the seals, which is something else that tends to wear out after about 20 years a bit. I had a simliar problem on my BMW back in the day but that steering box was way out of wack and was actually cheaper of buying a rebuilt one and getting it put in for around $3200. The steering on this car is normal and not out of wack so the box is probably still good and just need new seals. Believe it or not, while most dealers will try to sell you on the choice of getting a new box sometimes it's not really needed for all that. Ever notice how how your "old worn out" box tends to dissappear after repair? All they going to do, after "refunding" you, maybe, a $150 core charge or so is replace the seals for pennies on the dollars and sell it at a grand or so as a rebuilt one to some poor unsuspecting chap. Talk about profits.
These gear boxes on the W126 is about the most heavy duty you will find on any vehicle of that day besides a semi-truck. While the rubber tends to wear out, as like any other rubber or seal, that doesnt mean your whole box is toast. If all the signs is just a leak, then replace just the seals. They will be a bit of a bugger to get too and many dealers hate going through that trouble but paying just for the labor is way cheaper than paying that same labor plus $1,000 or so for the box and giving away a good box for $700 or more in profits for them. Hell, I would act a butt and ask for my old one back, just for "emotional attactment" purposes.

This post may contain good helpful information but I just mostly felt like typing something.